Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Cropping an image?

Hi there, I am hoping someone can help me out with what I think should be an easy problem. Sorry my first post is a plea for help!

I've made an image that I'm trying to export to be exactly 1000x162 pixels.

The image is a grouping of several images. The background image is exactly 1000x162 pixels, however one of the sub-images "hangs over" the side of the background image, blowing out the dimensions when I group the image and try to export it. The grouped image ends up being 1001x167.

The problem is that the bit of the sub image that hangs off to the side doesn't actually have any graphics in it. The sub-image is a circle, however when you select it, you can see that it's the square dimensions of the selection box that is blowing out my image dimension. I hope this makes sense to someone out there!

I've tried putting another rectangle exactly 1000x162 over the top and then intersecting the shapes, however when I do this some of my graphics are ruined - seems like a bug of some sort.

Does anyone have any ideas about this?

Thanks and best regards,

Rod

Default Re: Cropping an image?

You could make a bitmap copy and crop it in the picture editor

You can make a bitmap copy of the group first [ctrl-shift-c] EDIT - sorry typo wrong command - now corrected
    hey Keith beat me to it!

If you do make a bitmap copy then the rectangle intersection should work as well.

If you are exporting your final 1000x162 pixel image at 96dpi then the xara default when making the bitmap copy, [also 96dpi], should be fine.
    Otherwise you may need to adjust it.
    Last edited by handrawn; 03 July 2007 at 11:32 AM.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hey, now that was easy. I knew someone could help.

Thanks Keith and Steve.

Best regards,

Rod

Alternatively, you should be able to simply select just your background image and export and it should come out the same size...

Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by GerryI View Post
    Alternatively, you should be able to simply select just your background image and export and it should come out the same size...

Gerry
    This being because everything within the boundary of that bitmap gets exported
    as well, if its on an editable layer?

Yes I do believe you are right [of course]!

Never could get my head around the idea of exporting something automatically that I had not specifically selected - my gut tells me that is bad practice, but it is the way xara works, and I guess it depends on how you define 'select'.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

Another alternative is to apply a clipview.

To do this draw a rectangle over your shape exactly your demensions (1000x162). The easiest way to do this is to draw a box any size switch to the selector tool, set the line width to none, and then enter your hight and width in the H and W boxes at the top. (tip: make sure the 'Lock Aspect Ratio' button (looks like a little padlock) is unselected) This rectangle is going to bound (set the limits of) your drawing without actually cutting anything out. All of the drawing will still be there but only the parts within the rectangle will be visable. Once you have positioned your rectangle over your drawing like you want it, make sure only the rectangle is selected and press Ctrl+B to send it to the back of the drawing. Now select your entire drawing (or everything that you want to appear in the clipview), Crtl+A will select all. With everything selected, pressing Q will apply the clipview. Vola, your drawing is the exact demensions that you want it to be.

I attached a .xar file for an example.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    Web Templates. My Beginner Video Tutorials
    My Club. My Album.
    My Other Album. My Tutorial.

or do the same as Eric suggests but don't bother with the clipview steps, just select the rectangle set to no line / no fill and export but uncheck the transparent option.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host