Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Brush/Outline Bug?

Anyone ever experienced this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	outline.png 
Views:	224 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	39456  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Nostaw; 02 July 2007 at 11:39 AM.

Default Re: Brush/Outline Bug?

Hmm?

I would not group the shapes. But this is not what is causing the problem. Just my observation about brushes.

Gary

Hi Nostaw,

I cannot duplicate the problem using your .xar file or one that I created.

Try the attached .xar file to see if you get the same behaviour on your machine.

Created in Xtreme Pro 3.2.1
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by Nostaw View Post
    Anyone ever experienced this?
    Oh I know what the problem is. When contouring, it is technically blending to a quasi-object. This quasi-object has no brush, and so when blending, half way through the blend, the brush changes.

You can see this if you keep your original brushed rectangle, and blend it to a larger encompassing one with a solid black outline.

There are limitations to the blend tool. You can't for example blend gracefully from an object with a non-repeating fill and one with a repeating fill (see pic below). Half way along, it switches. It's not a fully-fledged morph tool. This is therefore not a bug really, but an (expected) limitation of the blend tool.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blend.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	8.2 KB 
ID:	39475  
    Last edited by Xhris; 02 July 2007 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    Hi Nostaw,

I cannot duplicate the problem using your .xar file or one that I created.

Try the attached .xar file to see if you get the same behaviour on your machine.

Created in Xtreme Pro 3.2.1
    Yes, same thing. I use version 3.2.1 too.

1) Open the document from your post.
    2) Select the rectangle with the brush applied (the large rectangle).
    3) Press CTRL+F7 to use the the countour tool.
    4) In the contour tool enable "insert path".
    5) Increase the countour of the rectangle: BUG, the brush has been reset to a black outline.

Garry, you are right, it doesn't need to have the shapes group for the bug to appear.
    Last edited by Nostaw; 02 July 2007 at 10:08 PM.

Can someone else confirm this problem or is it just on my and Gary's machine?

I'm pretty sure it is not a bug. It occurs on my machine and is explained in my previous post.

Quote Originally Posted by Xhris View Post
    I'm pretty sure it is not a bug. It occurs on my machine and is explained in my previous post.
    You talk about blends and contouring - I switch the "Inset Path" options on, so there are no blends created and no fades whatsoever. I just extend the objects countour without blending and it keeps forgetting the brush when increasing the contour. I don't see what that has to do with blends when there are non created.

Quote Originally Posted by Nostaw View Post
    You talk about blends and contouring - I switch the "Inset Path" options on, so there are no blends created and no fades whatsoever. I just extend the objects countour without blending and it keeps forgetting the brush when increasing the contour. I don't see what that has to do with blends when there are non created.
    Ah, you press the 'inset path' button. In that case, I can confirm that I don't get any errors. The new object retains the original formatting.

Quote Originally Posted by Xhris View Post
    Ah, you press the 'inset path' button. In that case, I can confirm that I don't get any errors. The new object retains the original formatting.
    I don't get any error-windows and no error messages either.

It's a usability bug IMO.

If you apply a brush on the shape and the extend the contour - it removes the brush and sets the countour with a default outline color.

It works with no problems when decreasing the countour's size of a shape, but increasing the shape removes the applied brush.
    Last edited by Nostaw; 03 July 2007 at 04:01 AM.