Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Automatically open new web page after flash intro finishes

Hi Guys, good to be back after 6 months away, I've got a couple of questions:

1. Undocumented Features:

As we know, Xara Flash could do more than was documented. Why on earth the documentation wasn't provided with the release, I do not know. I've seen a reference to this here: http://www.talkgraphics.com/showpost...65&postcount=4 - But I've done a search of the forums, and can't locate where this chapter is to be found. Can anyone help?

2. As posted in the topic title: What do I need to do to get a new web page opened up after the intro animation has finished playing?

I've tried entering

getURL("home.htm", "_self");

as the frame name on the last frame, but nothing happens. Am I using the wrong command, or formatting it wrongly?

I have a customer website where she's insisting on a flash intro page that on completion automaticaly loads the home page. I know, I know, it wouldn't have been my recommendation, but sometimes, customers think they know better. I previously solved this by creating the animation in Xara, importing it into Macromedia Flash, adding the relevant actionscript command, and resaving the flash file. What a pain!

3. I know I said I had a couple of questions, but I actually have one more:

Seeing there's a new release of Xara Xtreme Pro (3.2), does anyone know if said above undocumented features are going to be documented? Seems every 6 months I'm having to fork out for a new version upgrade because I need the additional features.
    IP

Default Re: Automatically open new web page after flash intro finishes

Hi,

One of the reasons why I feel compelled to write some of my meticulous tutorials, is because they fill in a rather significant (and poor it has to be said) gap in the documentation provided by Xara - which is strange given their documentation is some of the best around. Other times, I write tutorials to discuss a particular technique, or just complement the help file. There are some seriously powerful features in Xara that are all but documented at all.

Everything that's currently known about Flash in Xara (at least by me) is discussed in the thread and tutorial which is linked in my signature (about Flash Animations). It's also sticky in the Flash Forum - I don't know how you missed it.

People may be happy to learn that I'm in the middle of my long planned tutorial about the Name gallery, and all its functions, and how to significantly change the way you use Xara with it. I've also got some smaller ones planned soon too.
    IP

Hello Xhris,

Thanks for your reply. I agree that Xara appear to be letting their side down by poor disclosure of functions.

I also want to assure you that I did read your tutorials, and even printed them out for reference (Thanks to the reformatted pdf version), however, unfortunately, they didn't go as far as to address the queries I had, if they did, it wasn't clear to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Xhris View Post
    Everything that's currently known about Flash in Xara (at least by me) is discussed in the thread and tutorial which is linked in my signature (about Flash Animations). It's also sticky in the Flash Forum - I don't know how you missed it.
    From this response, I can assume that this is the entire source of the currently known undocumented features.

As far as opening a web page when the animation completes, I've seen buttons that link to web pages, but nothing that loads up the new page automatically. Perhaps there's something staring me in the face that I've completely overlooked, or not understood, if so, someone please put me out of my misery.

Is this somethat that can be done? Has been done? Can't be done?
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Brivtech View Post
    Hello Xhris,

Thanks for your reply. I agree that Xara appear to be letting their side down by poor disclosure of functions.

I also want to assure you that I did read your tutorials, and even printed them out for reference (Thanks to the reformatted pdf version), however, unfortunately, they didn't go as far as to address the queries I had, if they did, it wasn't clear to me.

From this response, I can assume that this is the entire source of the currently known undocumented features.

As far as opening a web page when the animation completes, I've seen buttons that link to web pages, but nothing that loads up the new page automatically. Perhaps there's something staring me in the face that I've completely overlooked, or not understood, if so, someone please put me out of my misery.

Is this somethat that can be done? Has been done? Can't be done?
    I've not found a way to open web pages after animations, nor have I heard anyone talk about how to. I can only assume that it's not possible unfortunately.
    IP