I think we posted at the same time!

Thanks for the tut, I'll go study it.

Regards,
    Carol Leather

Default Re: Horseshoe

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    A reference image may help.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Horseshoe.jpg

Horseshoes come in various sizes and shapes. A skilled ferrier uses a shoe that is matched to the horse's hoof and then will use hammer and anvil to make a good fit to the hoof.

BTW there is a very good school in Oklahoma City for anyone wanting to learn how to shoe horses.
    Bill...you are a fount of information. I grew up in Oklahoma City and never knew about the school for blacksmiths/farriers. I have a couple of horseshoes here, mounted over my doors. My Grandmother always told me that they brought luck to the home, but only if the open end pointed upward. She said if the open end was at the bottom, the luck of the household would drain out!
    ---
    Will

Ooo, I was in OK City yesterday (not to go OT or anything). Visited the bomb memorial, with the reflecting pool. Then I got sunburned and now have a face like a smacked arse. Didn't see any horseshoe schools though.

That Black Smith school in OKC used to be on Interstate 35 on the east side of the highway.

Drove by it many times.

My grandfather had the upside down horseshoe in his workshop next the barn for the same reason as Will mentioned, for luck.