Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Changing fills

Default Changing fills

I would like to create a landscape drawing that contains lawn and paving. If I use a textured fill such as the one in the attached xar file it is the wrong scale for the drawing I have done. In this drawing I initially put in a solid green colour and then applied a fill as a transparency. Is there any way of scaling the grass blades down to their appropriate size?

Or possibly does anyone have any suggestions as regards doing this in a better way?
    Thanks in anticipation.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Changing fills

I always found that the longer I watched the grass it always grows, never shrinks...

Whatever you do, don't water it... it only makes it get bigger...

On the other hand, if you follow the directions on the attached pic you might accomplish what I think you want.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	watchgrassgrow.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	103.5 KB 
ID:	39352  
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

As you stated fill your grass with a flat fill to the colour that suits your drawing then clone the grass "ctrl+k" and with the clone selected apply a fractal Stainglass Transparency. In the drop down box instead of a single tile use repeat inverted then move the handles very much close together and this will give a grass like effect. You will need to experiment with the fractal colours to get the look that you want. I just used your grass and moved the handles closer together as I stated above to get a more grass like appearance.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Design is thinking made visual.

Thanks for the help! Just what I needed...especially the tip about the beer!

You can also try this.

Make a shape for your grass.

Take a grass bitmap image that is about twice the size of the grass area.

Make the height of the bitmap the same as the hight of the grass area.

Apply a Default Perspective envelope with the Mold Tool and edit the top of the bitmap to add perspective.

Place the grass area image over the bitmap. Select both and Arrange > Combine Shapes > Intersect Shapes.

Alternatively, scale the grass fill so the height fill path arrow is much shorter than the width.

And alternatively alternatively, make two copies of the grass. Edit one of the copies in the Xara Picture Editor and blur the image.

Place the non-blurred image on top.

Apply a Linear transparency going from bottom to top. The grass in the foreground will be sharp and as it gets further away it will be less sharp.

Gary