Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: 3 Dimensional text

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Carpenter View Post
    Can I ask how many steps you used on the extrusions to achieve the smooth look?. I tried it with 200 steps and my PC slowed to a crawl, in fact I thought Xara had locked up for a while.
    The steps are relative to to distance between the 2 shapes. Also your computer speed (measured in Ghz) may be slow. Ask Jamesmc how fast his PC does it (he the owner of an enormous number cruncher).

My method is to not use too many steps. Only enough to fill in all the gaps. It may still look rough but this is an illusion due to the low resolution (96dpi) of computer monitors. Once you have what you need, go to 'Arrange' and 'create bitmap image'. Save it at anything over 96 dpi. Then do the same with your new bitmap and this time save it at 96 dpi so that it looks correct on your 96 dpi screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Luciano View Post
    Salaam,
    Yours is really a clever idea, the nut and screw have a surprisingly plastic look!
    well done.
    Luciano
    You're right, I made it with a low contrast setting. Shiny/ metallic objects tend to have high contrast.

The screw is actually tilted as does a real screw thread on a bolt etc. This effect is extremely difficult using X3D.

Toothpaste and tube. My last one like the screw thread was on X3D. This is better.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	toothpaste.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	39372  

Quote Originally Posted by Xhris View Post
    Well, I certainly wouldn't call the most slick 3D tool available: 'nothing more than a play tool'...
    It's not the most slick one out there. I purchased Ulead Cool 3D years before I came across Xara, and when I played with Xara's demo, I was far from impressed. Cool 3D allows you to independently move and rotate individual objects, making it unnecessary to use 'locating objects' to create a scene. Ulead's offering isn't the most user friendly, but is far more powerful in positioning ability than Xara.

I'm certain there are other packages out there that put Xara and Ulead's 3D programs to shame. Movie studios use them to make professional movies, something you will probably never see Xara 3D used for.

There are more powerful 3D programs out there, but they are not for the same user base as Xara3D or Cool 3D.

Xara3D is primarily for those wanting 3D text for a webpage. Although Anas and Mike Sims have shown it is capable of much more.

Cool 3D is primarily for those that want 3D objects without the high cost of many of the 3D applications on the market.

BTW I own Xara3D, Cool 3D, Cinema 4D, TrueSpace, Bryce, Blender, Wings3D, Maya, ZBrush, and Hexagon. Each has a use in my Tool Kit.

Almost forgot, I also have Poser and Daz|Studio for 3D people

I won't even mention the 2D applications

Before anyone asks, no I would not like one application to do all the things the others will do. Variety is good. The different applications are like a change in scenery.

BTW, I'm not a professional graphic person. Just a hobbiest.

We have gotten far from the original topic that Anas intended.

He has shown techniques to produce 3D looking images with a 2D application.

Thanks Anas for all the excellent examples.
    Last edited by Soquili; 29 June 2007 at 05:40 PM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by David O'Neil View Post
    [Xara3D is] not the most slick one out there...
    ...Ulead's offering isn't the most user friendly...
    Slick means highly user friendly, efficient and productive to use. Xara3D is designed for making 3D logos only, hence the obvious limitations, but is widely considered the most slick; it was designed this way from ground up.

Quote Originally Posted by Xhris View Post
    ...Xara3D is ... widely considered the most slick...
    In an argumentative mood, Xhris? I'm sorry that I seem to rub you wrong.

salaam, thank you for pointing out the 3D text tricks.

Best wishes,
    David

Quote Originally Posted by remi View Post
    ...My point was, that I would like to see new and already discussed professional tools in Xara Xtreme...
    Hmm, it seems from this thread that people don't really have a consensus that there is a such thing as a 'professional' tool - which I found quite interesting. I'm sure any new tool would be just as professional as the next, whether it be Xara3D-like or not. Unless there are specific tools people had in mind. But that's a cue for a wish list.

Default Art imitating wood

I had a great idea for imitating trees.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wood-digital.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	39461