Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Working with layers

I just downloaded Xara Xtreme 3.2 and had a question regarding layers. I'm working with a .gif image (which comes in as a .xar image). I want to use layers to alter the image - but the layers icon is disabled. Is there something I'm missing here? I brought in a photo (.jpg) which then became a .xar image - and the layers feature became enabled. Is it possible to use layers with .gif images?

Thanks,

GMAN

Default Re: Working with layers

I think you're running into a problem where Xara thinks that you're editing an animated Gif. The Layer button and Animation Frames button are mutually exclusive, and only one of them is enabled. Which one depends on if you're working in an animation document or a regular illustration.

If you were to create a new document and the import the Gif, it would appear like any other bitmap, and you could put it on layers, create layers over/under it, and work with it that way.

If you're trying to edit an already multi-layer gif (essentially an animated Gif), then I'm not sure if there's a way that you can import the Gif and get it to split it's layers apart for you to edit them. Someone more familiar with that might be able to help you though.
    This signature would be seven words long if it was six words shorter.

Or, if he has a program that can export PSD (photoshop) and doing animation, he can import the PSD into Animation Frames and it will give him layered artwork for a particular frame. Saving it as a GIF would be after the animation is completed or using the name gallery to change it.

I use Paint Shop Pro 9 or XI to do this sometimes. PSD created in PSP XI import into Xara Xtreme 3.2 via PDS import filter.

The (free) Irfanview will save each frame, but apparently only as .bmp files - open the animated GIF in Irfanview, then go to Options > Extract All Frames.

Dave

Gman,

As Odat says the reason the layers gallery is greyed out is that you're working with an animation. You haven't got Layers, instead you've got animation frames.

Here's a screen grab of James animated avatar saved and imported into XXPro. Note that the layers gallery is greyed out but the Animation Gallery isn't.

You can then select each Animation Frame in turn and edit it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	!1.gif 
Views:	228 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	39392  
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 30 June 2007 at 04:00 AM.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

if you want to split the animated gif into separate files you can do this by:

a) selecting all frames visible and editable in the frame gallery as shown [top]
    b) then export in .png format with the 'export each layer to a file of its own' box ticked as shown [bottom]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tmpppp.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	39397  
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Talking Re: Working with layers

Just import the Animated GIF into a normal Xara Drawing window.

All the frames will come on their own layers.

Gary