Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: create new line

Default create new line

Hi all,
    I'm trying to create a solid line with hash marks every quarter-inch or so. I get close, but I have a gap wherever there is a sharp angle in the line. I thought I'd just edit the default line by adding a hash mark and saving it as a new brush, but I don't think thats possible. Any ideas? Thanks, Dee

Default Re: create new line

I think you could just create the line segment as a brush then edit the spacing to achieve the effect you are looking for. But if the line segment is too long you will have problems when applying the brush to tight curves.

You can also try using the dashed lines in the Line Gallery. If you increase or decrease the line width the spacing of the dashes changes but the dashed lines will work better with curves.

Gary

3dee,
    I'm a little thick, so this may not be what you're looking for: this is a method I learned from Egg Bramhill some time ago. See attached xara file and if this is along the "line" you were inquiring about don't hesitate to ask questions. If Egg sees this he could certainly help you more than I could.

ron
    Attached Files Attached Files

One of these days I'll learn to read. Hash marks, not dash. Ack!!!

I think this might work.

Make several very short line segments and place the hash mark in the middle.

Select all the small segments but do not group them.

Then create your brush.

Gary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hashed-line.gif 
Views:	212 
Size:	2.6 KB 
ID:	39263  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks Gary. That's closer than I got, maybe because I had my hash mark at the end of the dash and yours is in the middle. I still don't get a good joint where the line angles sharply, but it does work nice on a curve.

I think I figured out a work around, though. I made a new brush using a single perpendicular dash. I make my line drawing using a solid line, copy it, and use the new brush on the copy. It seems to stay perpendicular to the original line. Takes a little longer, but I think it'll work.

Thanks for the help. Dee