Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Absent brush categories in selector

I recently installed Painter X on a new laptop running on Vista Home Premium with 2 Gig of RAM. This was a downloaded trial registered using the serial number that I was given when I bought the Painter X upgrade earlier this year that I installed on my PC desktop.
    All went well until today when I had the message that my Painter software was corrupted or illegally modified, and had to be re-installed from my disc. This wasn't possible since I downloaded the upgrade.
    I uninstalled Painter X, and downloaded and installed another trial version, which is working (so far) without asking for a serial number. It is not giving me any corruption messages.
    However the watercolor and digital watercolor brush categories are not showing up in the brush selector.
    I have looked in the Painter brush folders, and the appropriate nib, stk and xml files are on the hard drive in the correct folders, but I cannot get them to show up to choose in the category selector. The only other thing I noted was that not all of the jpeg brush diagrams in other categories are showing in the painter brushes folder, but are represented by vertical lines. However they do show up in the brush category selector normally. I hope this makes sense! Also the different brush categories are not listed in strict alphabetical order in the brush category selector, with the real bristle and smart stroke categories showing up at the top of the list. Is this other peoples' experience
    I have also upgraded to v10.1 today with no help.
    Any ideas??
    John
    IP

Default Re: Absent brush categories in selector

Please ignore this query.
    Having read through some of the previous posts ( which perhaps I should have done before posting), I realised that, having imported Marilyn Sholin's workspace, I had unwittingly switched off the two categories I was querying!
    Problem resolved, but why on earth does Painter not automatically sort categories by name, rather than us having to do it manually
    John
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by jwillyfontana View Post
    I recently installed Painter X on a new laptop running on Vista Home Premium with 2 Gig of RAM. This was a downloaded trial registered using the serial number that I was given when I bought the Painter X upgrade earlier this year that I installed on my PC desktop.
    All went well until today when I had the message that my Painter software was corrupted or illegally modified, and had to be re-installed from my disc. This wasn't possible since I downloaded the upgrade.
    I uninstalled Painter X, and downloaded and installed another trial version, which is working (so far) without asking for a serial number. It is not giving me any corruption messages.

However the watercolor and digital watercolor brush categories are not showing up in the brush selector.

I have looked in the Painter brush folders, and the appropriate nib, stk and xml files are on the hard drive in the correct folders, but I cannot get them to show up to choose in the category selector.
    Open the Customize Workspace dialog box (Window > Workspace > Customize Workspace), click the brush library name, and you can check the brush category Eye icons to see if any of them are closed. If they are closed, you can click the Eye icons to open them. Then those brush categories should appear in the Brush Selector's brush category list.

The only other thing I noted was that not all of the jpeg brush diagrams in other categories are showing in the painter brushes folder, but are represented by vertical lines. However they do show up in the brush category selector normally. I hope this makes sense!
    I'm guessing you're talking about the JPG image files inside some of the brush category folders. If so, those are Captured Dab images associated with Captured Dab brush variants that have the same name.

Examples:

Artists brush category
    ...Sargent Brush.jpg (Captured Dab JPG image)
    ...Sargent Brush.xml (Captured Dab brush variant)

F-X brush category
    ...Squeegee.jpg (Captured Dab JPG image)
    ...Squeegee.xml (Captured Dab brush variant)

Not all brush variants are Captured Dab variants so those that aren't won't have associated Captured Dab JPG image files.

Also the different brush categories are not listed in strict alphabetical order in the brush category selector, with the real bristle and smart stroke categories showing up at the top of the list. Is this other peoples' experience
    I have also upgraded to v10.1 today with no help.
    Any ideas??
    John
    Painter X, when installed, has the default Painter Brushes library's brush categories out of alphabetical order. That's the way the Painter developers set them up.

You can reorder them so they're in alphabetical order, or in any order you want. There's a short video on the Corel Painter X website that will, among other things, show you how. Go to this page:

New Features

Scroll down to the paragraph that begins New Workspace Manager: then click the link at the end of that paragraph named See it in action to watch the video.

It sounds like everything's the way it's supposed to be when Painter X is installed. You just need to learn how everything works.

I hope that's the case.

Good luck!
    Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley and The PainterFactory
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

Thanks for your succint and knowledgeable help/answer. The mud is starting to clear.
    John
    IP