Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Arrow thin white border when exporting as jpeg

How can I export my drawing exactly as a jpeg? At the moment always a thin white border is showing up, not useful in websites...

Thanx.

Default Re: thin white border when exporting as jpeg

Try this. First, make sure your graphic is in whole pixels (i.e. 60x54 not 60.2x54.3). Then, put the background color of your web page in a shape behind your graphic. Finally, select the graphic (not the background color) and export. If you want a more detailed explanation of "why" this happens, do a search of the Xara forums — you'll find a wealth of info.

Mickie

Quote Originally Posted by morti_addon View Post
    How can I export my drawing exactly as a jpeg? At the moment always a thin white border is showing up, not useful in websites...

Thanx.
    I think this is the Xara Xone tutorial which guides you through the solution Mickie has provided...

http://www.xaraxone.com/webxealot/workbook34/page_5.htm

Telovne - This tutorial is for getting rid of the white fringe around an object with a transparent background. Usually a GIF or 8-bit PNG image. But the idea is the same.

What is happening here is a similar effect. Because the rectangle for the JPEG (which does not support transparent backgrounds) is not an even pixel amount, and since computer monitors can only display whole pixels, Xara attempts to interpret a fractional pixel as slightly lighter than the solid colored pixels and it uses the page color, usually white, the blend the solid pixel's color with the white of the page.

So, the lesson to be learned is if you are creating images for the web, work in pixels and make sure the images you are exporting are in whole (not fractional) pixel amounts.

And try not to use outlines around rectangles. Even though the Infobar might show a even pixel amount, Xara splits the difference. Hence a 1 pixel outline extends 1/2 pixel outside of the rectangle.

Gary

This thread is useful, but I was getting white halos around a transparent gif created using the Mehdi Eraser classic plug in. The text is multi coloured, and I wanted this on a background jpg - for a website. It looked a real mess, and started me thinking I should move to Photoshop instead of Xara.

In XaraPro the fix is:
    use your picture as the background on which you place the group required for the resulting jpeg. Make sure the group is in exactly the same position over the backgound image (a photo in the case) as it will be on theweb page.
    Then export the gif. Looks a treat now!

Quote Originally Posted by lenw View Post
    use your picture as the background on which you place the group required for the resulting jpeg. Make sure the group is in exactly the same position over the backgound image (a photo in the case) as it will be on theweb page.
    This tip is also good for placing graphics in other apps such as PowerPoint.