Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Strange behavior in the name-gallery in Xtreme 3.2

It seems, that there appears a new bug every hour. Try this:

Select an object, open name gallery, press "New", type in the name "Test" and hit Enter.

A new line appears with the Name "Test" and the extention "GIF".

Klick "GIF", change "GIF" to "PNG", klick Apply.

In the name gallery the extention is now gone and the little arrow for the export-options too. A white "G" appears over the red circle at the beginning of the line. It is neccessary to deselect the line and select it again to make the extention and the arrow visible and to make the "G" disappear.

Go on and klick "Rename", change "Test" in "Test1" for example and hit Enter.

The extention is now again "GIF" and not "PNG", how changed.

Klick on "GIF" - In the bitmap-export-options is still "PNG" visible - klick Apply.

In the name-gallery the extention and the arrow is already gone, like the first time. Deselect and reselect the current line again, to make the extention visible. To change the extention to "PNG" again, you have to change it first to "GIF" and then to "PNG" again.

It is not funny to let your customers pay for an update which is a beta-version and so to make your customers to beta-testers. The current Xtreme-release is far away to be a Pro!

Default Re: Strange behavior in the name-gallery in Xtreme 3.2

Sorry but I cannot duplicate the behaviour you describe.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I have to click on the circle to the left of the name to see the resulting change from one type of file to another. Renaming the object does not seem to create any problem on my Xara as far as I can tell.
    ron

I tried it with a quickshape object and had no problems.
    Then remembered there was a layer problem in another thread that only occurred with xara clip art photos.
    So I re-tried with one of those, and got the result shown, which looks like what you are referring to Don?

The other thread is here:
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=27742
    from post #4 onwards

Maybe there is a connection here?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ng01.jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	39084  
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I made some screenshots too, to documenting what I mean.

Name:	0a.gif 
Views:	326 
Size:	16.4 KB 
ID:	39088  

Another screenshot.

Name:	0b.gif 
Views:	323 
Size:	14.5 KB 
ID:	39092  

Re post #6 - I think you have always had to toggle select for the name gallery to update? [This is what Ron did - post#3]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Dón|Olivierč View Post
    It is not funny to let your customers pay for an update which is a beta-version and so to make your customers to beta-testers. The current Xtreme-release is far away to be a Pro!
    You're not paying for a beta product. You are paying for the full product when it is released on CD. You are being allowed to buy it in advance, and in the mean time, be involved in beta testing, as always, as a TalkGraphics member, prior to an official release. Neil didn't make this very clear actually in the launch thread, in your defence, and the consequence is a reaction like this: a privileged opportunity being interpreted as a bad thing.

Regarding the bug, you are quite right and are doing some good beta testing; something strange has started happening since 3.2. Here's a clearer recipe:

1. start a fresh copy of Xara
    2. draw a shape
    3. open the name gallery (if not already open)
    4. click the new button
    5. give the object a name (the name appears in the list)
    6. click on the text of the name in the name gallery so that it highlights
    7. click on the gif button
    8. change gif to png using the drop-down box
    9. click apply
    10. click on another folder in the name gallery and the name of the object displays wrongly

From here, any number of things can go wrong depending on what you do, e.g. renaming etc.

The problem is solved if the shape is deselected after stage 10.

"You're not paying for a beta product. You are paying for the full product when it is released on CD. You are being allowed to buy it in advance"

Xhris, I don't agree with others' emotional and breathless criticism of bugs, and I agree with and learn from you often, but this does not seem true. "Allowed to buy it"? Let's not get carried away...

"and in the mean time, be involved in beta testing, as always, as a TalkGraphics member, prior to an official release."

Prior to official release? Unless I need glasses ( the ones to see close, I already have the ones to see far..) nowhere does it say on the download "prerelease", or "beta". It's just a released downloaded version. The fact that it may or may not be delivered on CD makes no difference. The CD is a medium, that's all. If the online version is incomplete or unfinished, then it shoudl say so.

"a privileged opportunity being interpreted as a bad thing."

A privileged opportunity goes both ways... The company has the priviledge of taking the customer's money early...

Anyway, I think I'm certainly not disagreeing with you as a person, Xhris, and Ive always complemented Xara's methods and product, but the tone here drifted just a tad into the sacrosanct...
    Last edited by Tallis; 21 June 2007 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallis View Post
    "You're not paying for a beta product. You are paying for the full product when it is released on CD. You are being allowed to buy it in advance"

Xhris, I don't agree with others' emotional and breathless criticism of bugs, and I agree with and learn from you often, but this does not seem true. "Allowed to buy it"? Let's not get carried away...

"and in the mean time, be involved in beta testing, as always, as a TalkGraphics member, prior to an official release."

Prior to official release? Unless I need glasses ( the ones to see close, I already have the ones to see far..) nowhere does it say on the download "prerelease", or "beta". It's just a released downloaded version. The fact that it may or may not be delivered on CD makes no difference. The CD is a medium, that's all. If the online version is incomplete or unfinished, then it shoudl say so.

"a privileged opportunity being interpreted as a bad thing."

A privileged opportunity goes both ways... The company has the priviledge of taking the customer's money early...

Anyway, I think I'm certainly not disagreeing with you as a person, Xhris, and Ive always complemented Xara's methods and product, but the tone here drifted just a tad into the sacrosanct...
    Let's clean up what I said then.

I didn't say "allowed to buy it", I said "allowed to buy it in advance", but what I meant was effectively allowed to buy it in advance of a final release.

We can dispute whether or not it's an official release. In some respects it is, but what I meant by 'official' was 'final' release. Just from the historical viewpoint, e.g. when Xtreme was first released, it was touted as an effective pre-release, before the final CD release. Only Xara can comment with any official fervour.

And yes, privileged goes both ways, but I was only referring to the customers viewpoint given the context. I was reflecting on the possibility that we could have received nothing until the CD release. This download release is mutually beneficial. Sometimes these download releases are misinterpreted as died-in-the-wool final releases that should be perfect and immune to change.

Hope this clears up the fallacious sacrosanct tone.