Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Bitmap Versus Vector Challenge

Since some recent threads where talking about the comparisons between the two types of approaches towards Computer Graphic Images, I thought a challenge would be appropriate.

Any kind of program can be used, as long as it is not photographed or scanned.

Any tool that comes available as stock or right out of the shrink wrap with your Graphics Program (Bitmap or Vector) is allowed.

Any style of art is allowed.

The purpose is compare to the two programs. You can make all in vector or all in Bitmap or can use any combo, as long as a single graphic is not a mixture (both vector and graphic.) The idea is to compare the two types. Enjoy!

Here's the starter image. It's in PSD format and imports quite nicely into Xtreme 3.2 and Corel PSP PRO XI. PSD can be imported into quite a few programs. If nothing else, simply take a screen shot and paste it into your graphics program.

It's on!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bitvechal.jpg 
Views:	557 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	39076  
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jamesmc; 20 June 2007 at 01:38 AM. Reason: added jpeg image

Default Re: Bitmap Versus Vector Challenge

Just to make sure I understand this right. The challenge is to recreate either a vector Or a bitmap with 2 different programs just to see the difference of the programs used?

You can use any type of program you wish vector or bitmap. And you can make both or just one.

The only thing I ask is not to mix the two (vector and bitmap.) Other than that , if you want to apply liberal filters or plug-ins to it be my guest.

Whatever comes with the program as ordered.

Example: You only want to do the shuttle, and you draw it in AI or Xara Xtreme. This is fine.

Example 2: You want to draw both, but in vector only. You want to do both and do both in bitmap. Either way is fine.

Example 3: You want to do one in vector and one bitmap (the same pic) or different pics. This is fine as well.

A bitmap method in XXP.

Rich

Name:	Purple.jpg 
Views:	507 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	39097  

James I'm not sure about what would be appropriate for this challenge. Are we to try and reproduce one or the other of the images you attached at the start of the thread? Or can we post something we created with a vector or bitmap program?

If it is the later, the attached was created in Xara Xtreme Pro 3.2 using only the tools within the program, no bitmaps or plug-ins were used.

Two circles, one rectangle, linear transparency, flat transparency, flat fill, circular fill, and a fractal cloud fill. And some feathering of one of the circles.

Name:	red-sphere.jpg 
Views:	497 
Size:	11.0 KB 
ID:	39101  
    Last edited by Soquili; 20 June 2007 at 05:21 PM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Bill,

Very nice color.

Rich

Name:	Bill.jpg 
Views:	496 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	39102  

Thanks Rich, but that was more due to the combination of circular fill and the stained glass transparency. Rather than a conscious effort for a colour.

It does look very good in your image
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Ya Bill, ideally is to use one of the two images I provided so there can be a comparison of technique and kind of program.

For instance, one could do an image of the flowers using outline technique only in Xara. Or one could go to PhotoShop and turn the flowers into an oil painting with whatever genre they wish.

The two pictures were provided so that a standard could be used to evaluate the differences between bitmap and vector.

Thanks James. I was hoping I could be lazy

This will have to be an after work project, don't think I would have the time to concentrate long enough at work to get it done
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Actually, no work at all Bill. Here's an extremely lazy entry from me on the flowers, just using a plug-in that comes with Xara Xtreme and bitmap tracer.

I just used the original image, a monochrome bitmap trace, applied transparency, cut out the middle flower, applied a color and point light in the 3D bump map tool. Done in less than five minutes.

Name:	chalflower1.jpg 
Views:	451 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	39114