Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: outline trace a JPEG as a template???

It hasn't been mentioned, but you will want to turn magnetic snap on, if it isn't already (it's the icon in the toolbar that looks like a magnet). If you select the rectangle while it's still a Rectangle (before you Arrange->Convert to Editable) and enter the Rectangle tool, you'll see a little x in the center of the rectangle that you can snap your guidelines to.

Also, I apologize as I was going to mention that you probably would want to use a couple of guidelines, but I completely forgot to mention it.

I only know one way to do mirror bending so that the sides bend at the same time, but it only works on squares and all sides move, not just the ones you want. However, in a pinch you can draw only half of the rectangle, then make a copy and mirror it and join the two together.

Don't get too frustrated, though! One of the neat things about Xara is the many different ways to approach pretty much everything that you want to do. In the beginning it can be taxing trying to figure out how to do things, but once you start getting the hang of what is possible, you're suddenly able to apply knowledge from previous problems to new ones.
    This signature would be seven words long if it was six words shorter.

Ron, thanks for sharing how to do that. Now, my question is...

how do I stretch the top AND bottom simultaneously so that they are identical in the distance I have pulled them. Again, symmetry is a big thing for this design.

Ok, I'm trying to put to good use all the advice and "how-to's" that are being shared. I have managed to make the principal rectangle - dark red box - and put the curvature on both top and bottom. I now have to make the inside rectangle - bright red. My plan was to simple clone the large rectangle and stretch and squeeze it to match the original. BUT...when I did this it changed the curvature/arc degree of it. One thing that is obvious from the original is that the curvature of the two rectangles are parallel to each other. When I do it this way, the curvature changes - ever so slightly - yet is changes. So...how do I stretch and squeeze the the rectangle is such a way that the top and bottom curvature won't change in relationship to the large rectangle?

Fuerza,
    Here's another crappy illustration from me on what I would do. Use the contour tool and note the setting I have chosen so that you are not getting a blend, just a duplicate. With this setting on the contour tool, you duplicate your original shape and then click and drag your duplicate with the contour tool to the desired size.

ron

Quote Originally Posted by Fuerza View Post
    Ok, I'm trying to put to good use all the advice and "how-to's" that are being shared. I have managed to make the principal rectangle - dark red box - and put the curvature on both top and bottom. I now have to make the inside rectangle - bright red. My plan was to simple clone the large rectangle and stretch and squeeze it to match the original. BUT...when I did this it changed the curvature/arc degree of it. One thing that is obvious from the original is that the curvature of the two rectangles are parallel to each other. When I do it this way, the curvature changes - ever so slightly - yet is changes. So...how do I stretch and squeeze the the rectangle is such a way that the top and bottom curvature won't change in relationship to the large rectangle?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sample2.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	200.8 KB 
ID:	39067  
    Last edited by Ron Duke; 19 June 2007 at 04:13 PM.

Ron,

Another good suggestion. I tried it but it is not working. When you stretch/squeeze the shape using the contour tool (along with the setting you mentioned) it insists on keeping the X/Y aspect looked. I now need to be able to unlock those in order to stretch one way while keeping its shape another way. Again, wow...this is complicated!

Fuerza,
    In the last illustration the duplicated shape is in red outline; is that not what you were trying to do?
    ron

Ron,

Actually, I am recreating the entire logo. So I have to do both boxes the large background box and the centered foreground box. But, as I said, they both have the same parallel curvature and I am having a hard time keeping aspects lock on the cloned background box and I try to stretch and shrink it. This is tedious work and I am now wondering if I would have an easier go at it with other vector graphics programs. What do you think?

I don't know of any program that will automatically intuitively manipulate every vector point just where you want it. Any program is going to require some manipulation of objects. In my experience, which admitedly is limited, there is no other program more flexible than Xara. That's not to say that other programs don't have functions that Xara doesn't. I'm just looking at the big picture and the whole package.

Using the guide lines and some simple manipulation of the shape, I have created the wider and shorter shape.

It really isn't that much work. It took me maybe 30 seconds at most.

ron
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sample3.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	39091  

Hi Fuerza,

In my experience with vector graphics applications Xara Xtreme is the most intuitive and the easiest to learn.

Of course I have not used every vector graphics application. Those I have used are : Adobe Illustrator, Corel Draw, Macromedia Freehand, Serif Draw Plus, and Inkscape.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

30 seconds?! 30 seconds?!?!?!

Man, that makes me feel like a total inept!! You most certainly have a better handle on this program than I do. I am coming from CorelDRAW and Inkscape. Sure, I have only been using this program for a week - good thing I am only doing the demo version first - but if I base my decision on only a week's worth of experience, I am leaning towards a 'no' - as in not to purchase this program.

Ron, are you located in the States? If so, tell me your phone number and I'll give you a call. You can tell me how to do those two shapes, in all their accuracy, in 30 seconds. (That's not a dig, but a compliment)