Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default outline trace a JPEG as a template???

How do you...

outline trace a JPEG image to create a template of the basic shapes? Is this possible? I am trying to find an intelligent way of getting the basic shapes of a corporate logo traced out so I don't have to recreate everything from scratch - which will prove time consuming if I have to.

Thanks...

http://matrix.scranton.edu/networkre...tz-logo-sm.jpg

Default Re: outline trace a JPEG as a template???

To trace this logo by hand should take about 10 minutes or less. I guess I should do a speed tracing video for youtube to show this, in Xara tracing a logo is really easy.

s.g.

Great!! If you can show me how to trace the major elements in this logo in 10 minutes you will be my new hero!

I've been trying to redraw boxes and superimpose ellipses on top to get the arc just right and....OMG, so much work!

Here are a couple of ways to easily trace the light red part of the logo (the part with the text in it). I'm not in front of a computer with Xara installed at the moment, so I can't take any screenshots, sorry...

You could:

Draw a rectangle with the Quickshape Tool and line up the "corners" with the corner of the red part of the logo. Then, do Arrange->Convert to Editable Shapes.

With the shape still selected, select the Shape Editor tool. Click and drag upwards on the center of the top line. This will bend the line, allowing you to shape it to the curve. You can then do the same thing with the other three sides to get the light red shape outlined.

OR:

Using the Pen Tool, you can click on one corner, then click on the next corner to join them together as a line. From there you can directly shape the line by clicking and dragging on it to curve it as needed. Once you get that side done, you can click on the next corner to continue the shape. Eventually when you get back around, click on the first point again (the cursor will show a plus sign) to join things together.

Either way, you could then use the contour tool to create an outer contour to get the yellow and black stripes that go around the shape, or duplicate the shape and size it up a bit, or just trace those lines out as well.
    This signature would be seven words long if it was six words shorter.

<<With the shape still selected, select the Shape Editor tool. Click and drag upwards on the center of the top line. This will bend the line, allowing you to shape it to the curve. You can then do the same thing with the other three sides to get the light red shape outlined.>>

Odat, good suggestion BUT...when I try to place the bend points symmetrically there is no way to do that. How do I perfectly place a bend point in the middle of the rectangle's upper line? Then when I place the other bend points - how do I place them exactly between the end points of the rectangle and the newly placed center bend point. Symmetry is a big issue here and I see no way of placing these without "guessing" where the center of things are.

Is there some combination of keystrokes to place bend points in the center of existing lines? Is there a way to place newer bend points perfectly between other bend points?

I like the line bending thing. But again, how can I ensure that I am in the center of that line before bending? Plus, how do I do mirror bending? I want the opposite side to bend at the same time so I KNOW that they are identical.

Any ideas on symmetrical bending, mirror bending, or center assurance before bending??

Help!!

Xara Xtreme needs more intuitive mirroring options.

Fuerza,
    When you draw your rectangle outline, create Guides using the Ruler and identify and mark with the guidelines your center point. From there you will see where to place your cursor at both top and bottom when you stretch it to the desired shape. Don't forget to "Convert to editable" shapes before you try to edit the rectangle.
    ron
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sample.jpg 
Views:	416 
Size:	113.2 KB 
ID:	39056  
    Last edited by Ron Duke; 19 June 2007 at 01:01 AM.

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Further to Ron's graphic example, note that you can also accurately place guides to indicate the locations you want to stretch to in addition to the tangent direction as suggested by Ron. I'll sometimes even put intersecting guides to help me in the precise placement of edit handles on a curve. Guides are your friends!
    Last edited by Ross Macintosh; 19 June 2007 at 01:12 AM.

Ok, I've drawn the rectangle, activated the rulers, and double clicked on the rectangle to get a bullseye in the center. Now, how do you draw the guidelines? I don't see anything in the drop down menus "Draw guidelines" or "Place guidelines". And how did you get your bullseye to turn red and big?

Wow, it JUST shouldn't be this hard to get Xara to do helpful things. Can you tell I am getting frustrated? Arrgghhhh!!!!

Fuerza,
    Place your cursor on the top ruler, click and drag the line to the cross point. Then click and drag from the ruler on the left to the cross point. I drew the bullseye myself for illustration purposes.
    ron