Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3.2 & Xpe

Default 3.2 & Xpe

I am testing the trial version of 3.2. When I open up a bitmap image from e-mail, windows explorer or Picasa it fires up XaraXPro 3.2 instead of XPE. I don't care for this behavior. In 3.0 the image was displayed in XPE. Was this an intended change in 3.2 ?

Also, in another thread I asked Neil if Magix Photo Editor was included in purchased download version of 3.2 or if you have to wait to receive the CD, but I did not receive a response. Could someone who has purchased 3.2 answer this question for me? Thanks!

Default Re: 3.2 & Xpe

XPE isn't included in the trial download version so if your file associations point to Xara for Tiff, Jpeg etc it will open in Xara until such time as you buy and install the full version which will have a choice of XPE or a Majik Thingy or uninstall the trial and revert to Xtreme (Pro).
    Derek
    Last edited by masque; 17 June 2007 at 03:33 PM. Reason: smelling error

Hi BQ,

The Magix Photo Editor is not part of the download. We will have to wait for the CD.

To have XPE open an image you will need to select a file of the image type (.jpg, .gif, etc.) in Windows Explorer. Right click the file and select Properties then click the Change button in the areas for Opens with...
    Select or browse to XPE.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Thanks for the information. I was thinking that the situation may be related to the trial version.

Unfortunate that we have to wait for CD for Magix Photo Editor, because in the past it has taken quite some time before CD are shipped.

NeilH is offline Xara Group Ltd. Development Manager Member

Quote Originally Posted by masque View Post
    XPE isn't included in the trial download version ….
    No, XPE IS included in the trial versions of both Xtreme and Xtreme Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    Hi BQ,
    The Magix Photo Editor is not part of the download. We will have to wait for the CD….
    Yes that’s correct.

Quote Originally Posted by BQ View Post
    I am testing the trial version of 3.2. When I open up a bitmap image from e-mail, windows explorer or Picasa it fires up XaraXPro 3.2 instead of XPE. I don't care for this behavior. In 3.0 the image was displayed in XPE. Was this an intended change in 3.2 ?
    No, that should not be happening unless you’ve told Windows to use Pro as your default editor for bitmaps.

With Pro 3.0, the installer gave you the option of whether to make XPE your default editor for the common bitmap types. We’ve taken this out for 3.2, so now no default association is setup for these file types. However we do add XPE and Xtreme/Pro into the “Open With” lists for the common bitmap file types. So right click on a bitmap file in Explorer and choose "Open With" and you should see XPE and Xtreme or Pro listed.

If you want to make either of these your default bitmap editor, right click on a bitmap file, select “Open With”, then “Choose Program…” . Then in the list of applications shown, select the one you want to use and then check the “Always use the selected program to open this kind of file” checkbox.

I just tried a clean Virtual Machine running Windows XP. Having installed Pro 3.2 into it, the default application for JPEG is still Windows Picture Viewer. So it looks to me like the installer is working and isn’t setting up default file associations with Pro or anything else. So is it possible you setup the file association yourself BQ?

Has anyone else found that Xtreme 3.2 or Pro 3.2 has taken ownership of bitmap file types by itself?

Thanks

Neil

XPE came as the default editor, I changed mine to Corel Paint Shop Pro XI later on for Windows and in Xara Xtreme 3.2

Quote Originally Posted by NeilH View Post
    I just tried a clean Virtual Machine running Windows XP. Having installed Pro 3.2 into it, the default application for JPEG is still Windows Picture Viewer. So it looks to me like the installer is working and isn’t setting up default file associations with Pro or anything else. So is it possible you setup the file association yourself BQ?
    Neil
    Neil,
    Thanks for your response. No, I did not setup the file association myself. I downloaded XPRO3.2 trial and then tried opening a image while in Picasa and it fired up XPRO3.2 instead of XPE. Not sure why this happened. If it works OK for everyone else, then I guess it isn't an issue.
    BQ

Quote Originally Posted by BQ View Post
    If it works OK for everyone else, then I guess it isn't an issue.
    BQ
    Well, actually, it took over the associations on both an XP and Vista setup when installed over an existing XPro 3.0 for me.

I have found this program very useful for fixing image file associations:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/imgeditor.htm

Quote Originally Posted by StevenWWinters View Post
    Well, actually, it took over the associations on both an XP and Vista setup when installed over an existing XPro 3.0 for me.
    Glad to hear I'm not the lone ranger. Like I said in my previous post, I know it wasn't me who made the association change.