Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Coreldraw 8 tweaking out

Newbie here....glad to find the site. I've been using Coreldraw 8 since it came out. Recently upgraded computer to Windows XP. I am having problems with Coreldraw freezing up when trying to open, import or export files. Anyone have similar problems. Is it a compatability problem with XP. Appreciate any help...thanks.
    IP

Default Re: Coreldraw 8 tweaking out

You have gotten years of service out of that version 8. Even so, nine runs well and doesn't crash under XP. !0, I wouldn't waste my time, very crash prone, 11, never used, hear it is good if you can solve the problems it has, 12 is stable and X3 is really for the experienced user, particularily aimed at those who work in print, do silk screening. The cost of 12 and X3 are about equal, but 12 is more like 8 than X3.

You can do a trial of X3 from Corel.com but they no longer do trial downloads of 12 or anything older.

There is an FTP that Corel has for all the older versions, where you can find all the patches and updates for your version.

If you need to open and edit .pdf's, however, X3 can do that very well. Other versions just tell you that the .pdf is corrupt, it isn't it just is they don't understand Acrobat 7.0 language, X3 does.

Between 8 and today's version, CorelScript, though DRAW understands what it says, can no longer record it in DRAW but fully supports VBA. Scripting written for 11, 12 and X3 greatly extend the features of the program. There are also nice updates for PhotoPaint.

Good upgrade to XP, however, I decided not to upgrade to Windows Vista. DRAW X3 is the only version which can do it, so I am told.

Versions 12 and X3 make great .pdf's and have good control of color management. There are some features that have fallen by the wayside such and CorelDREAM. But there are much better 3-D apps out there now.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

Yep, I agree with Sally. On XP you will definately benefit from an upgrade. CD9 is a big improvement on CD8 and is very affordable on ebay. If you are willing to pay a little more, I'd go with CD12,unless you work with print professionally, then X3 will probably be a better choice.

Sark
    IP

Thanks for the help!
    IP