Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default ZBrush 3 to Poser

I've been experimenting with ZB3's mesh extraction utility to create conforming cloths for Poser. I admit this is not the best looking pair of shorts, the workflow is the objective.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shorts 2 copy.jpg 
Views:	569 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	38780  
    Last edited by Mike Bailey; 13 June 2007 at 01:09 AM.

Default Re: ZBrush 3 to Poser

Looking good Mike... tis quite the process just to craft clothes no matter the app, but yes indeed, thank goodness for extract tools...

This type of extraction has always been an option within Wings3D...

Just select the faces desired and use extract command... then as it is a closed object, just tweak to desired shape, include any hem rings, then select the leg faces, and the waist face, do a intrude to desired thicknes, select new edge rings, cut and connect, do a bevel with resulting loops and you are finished same as posted example

Whats the process within ZB3?

Whats the process within ZB3?
    There are a few different ways to extract. What I have been doing is, I mask the area of the model I want to extract. In the subtools pallete I adjust a couple of options about the extraction, thickness, edge and surface smoothness. Then I click the extract button and a new subtool (mesh) is created where the mask was applied. I use the usual modeling and sculpting methods on the new mesh.
    Last edited by Mike Bailey; 13 June 2007 at 10:12 AM.

Hmmm... very interesting subject this is...

Within wings, the further modeling is done before the shape is shelled out via intrude command ...

here's a quick example... in red is selected... then extracted, here along x, but most of the time in place... the hems were just an xtrude, with inside loops as hard edge, same same for the openings... further inset, bevels etc would also be applied before things were exported to zb, blender etc... the belt was done later in the process...

but yea, something to think about, re cut off points within other apps...

how easy is it to further model this type of stuff within zb? Is the object closed for easy editing, and can you use a virtual mirror in the process, or do you end up having to edit both sides of the new fabric ?

Name:	xtractclotheswings.jpg 
Views:	512 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	38813  
    Last edited by gidgit; 13 June 2007 at 11:41 PM.

how easy is it to further model this type of stuff within zb?
    The model can easily be manipulated and reshaped, the various brushes and stroke types effect the mesh in different manners. A new feature is that Alpha images may be used to shape the modeling brushes. This feature can be used to model very high detail into the mesh with a single drag rectangle stroke. It would take many hours to do in a traditional modeling app. what can be done with a single brush stroke. Also in the tool palette is an array of deformations that can be performed, bend, twist, flatten, skew, taper, squeeze, smooth, inflate, etc... Use masking to isolate areas of the mesh so that brush strokes and deformations only effect unmasked areas. Mask can be painted directly on the mesh, alpha and texture maps can be used to mask the model. Something else I have not explored very much is the new transpose tools which can be used to reshape the mesh as well.

Is the object closed for easy editing,
    I'm not sure what you mean by "closed" ? The imported model should be the same as it was when exported. Eg. If you export a tube with open ends they will still be open. Is that what you mean?

and can you use a virtual mirror in the process, or do you end up having to edit both sides of the new fabric ?
    ZB has mirror and radial symmetry, if mirror symmetry is turned on the brush strokes will effect the mesh on opposite sides of the chosen axis.
    Radial symmetry on the other hand will align the strokes in a circle on the chosen axis. Radial count can be as low as 2 or as high as 100. Eg. a cylinder can lathed in real time using radial symmetry. If symmetry is lost during a modeling session, Smart re-symmetry can be used to make the model symmetrical again.
    Last edited by Mike Bailey; 14 June 2007 at 03:30 AM.

When we do an xtract, it comes off as a closed mesh object... the waist hole and legs holes are closed... as is all mesh derived with the winged edge technology...

when these holes are closed, the manipulation for further form, is only with the one side, the outside... and when all is shaped, then a intrude is done on those hole faces, to make like a shelled out set of pants...

I am sure that this sort of thing can be done within zb as well, maybe with levels or...

Name:	closedobjects.gif 
Views:	492 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	38869  

When we do an xtract, it comes off as a closed mesh object... the waist hole and legs holes are closed... as is all mesh derived with the winged edge technology...
    Something I just learned, when using re-topology in ZB3, there is an option to have the new mesh closed or open.

WOW... very nice. Umm, that is exactly the kind of thing I am trying to do with ZB 3 and Poser 7. I have had Poser since version 5, and just recently got ZB. I am kind'a slow, owning a Karate School, I get hit for a living. Is there any way I could convice you to email me a down and dirty tutorial on how you did that? The ones that I have been able to find on the net, always seem to take certain steps for granted, and leave out some crucial part, making this a very frustrating process.

Please, your help would be so appreciated.

-kmkenpo
    kmkenpo@yahoo.com

kmkenpo,
    Is there any way I could convice you to email me a down and dirty tutorial
    Sorry, I don't write tutorials. Besides, the general idea of the forum is to exchange ideas online.

If you would like to discuss the how to's and post your results I would be more than happy to join in.

Here's a link that goes over techiques using a program called AutoGroup Editor.

http://poserpros.daz3d.com/forums/vi...b10f4f87837f5e

In that thread there are links to Renderosity which is a consortium of users that supply goods and services for Poser/Daz programs. On there is a very inexpensive video for about 6.25 U.S. Dollars that is three hours long and covers how to model conforming clothes in Poser or Daz Studio.

There are two types of clothing for 3D models, conforming (static) and dynamic (moving.)

The latter is more complicated, but there are some tutorials out there how to do it. Best of luck.