Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: 3.2 Toggle grrrrr!

Here is the text from the help file on the selector tool...

Because the Selector tool is the most used tool, there is an additional shortcut that lets you switch into the Selector tool to perform a selection or other operation, and quickly switch back to the previous tool. If you are using another tool, you can easily switch to the Selector tool:

Press and release Alt+S to switch to the Selector tool. Press again to return to the previous tool.
    Or
    Hold down Alt+S to select the Selector tool. Perform the required operation while the keys are held down, then release to return to the previous tool.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Judi A View Post
    There are other one-key shortcuts for returning yourself to the other tools:
    Like what?
    Like the ones pasted into the same message that you just quoted, T to return to the Text tool, for example.

Alt-S works of course and the other shortcuts mentioned - but:

The big advantage with spacebar as I'm sure we all know is that its very quick to find with virtually no chance of mis-keying, and its much much easier to toggle fast, with less strain on the hand.

Better for those slow with eye and hand.

Still I can at least change pro to toggle selection tool with it, which will keep me happy.
    And its not put me off the upgrade
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I am being selfish here I like the changes just think of the people who have to remember the PS, AI and XPro shortcuts to save time and when you get to my age this doesn't come easy!
    Design is thinking made visual.

Hi Albacore

I guess maybe its no big deal at the end of the day, at least for those with pro. We are all looking at it from our own perspective.

BTW My memory still ok - its my hands and peripheral sight that appreciate the spacebar in their advancing years
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I have to admit that I was a bit hasty and hypocritical with my comments about the change.

When WordPerfect first came out I refused to use it because it did not use any of the industry standard keyboard short cuts. Back then the industry standards were set by WordStar, Aston Tate's dBase II, and Lotus 1-2-3.

I should eat my own words and say the change to the 'industry standard' is the correct way to go
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Galloping Squirrel Ranch, Bend, Oregon, USA

Thanks David, for the Alt+S tip. The thing about the spacebar is you don't have to take your eyes off the drawing to find the right keys.

Judi

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    I should eat my own words and say the change to the 'industry standard' is the correct way to go
    The question, of course, is which standard is the "industry standard".

As Xtreme incorporates more functions from other graphic areas such as paint, photo editing and 3D, are the hotkeys going to be continually reassigned to meet those standards? Even when Xtreme's original hotkeys are more functional or easier to use?

I also take issue with your WordStar/WordPerfect analogy. WordPerfect was on the way up at the time. It's nowhere near being "industry standard" now.
    Illustrator's been around a a good while. It may have plateaued. If so, a new "industry standard" could be on the way (not that Illy's going to disappear any time soon).

BTW, hotkeys aren't just about what you're familiar with. They're also about how you process information. I understood WordStar's command structure on contact. It simply made sense to me. I still can't manage WordPerfect's hotkey scheme or command structures that are similar to it -- even when I've assigned them myself.

My preferred solution is to leave Xara's hotkeys alone and provide alternative assignments that match those of other popular apps. (Let's hear it for customization!)

Hi Allison,

I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding you or you are misunderstanding me.

I also take issue with your WordStar/WordPerfect analogy. WordPerfect was on the way up at the time. It's nowhere near being "industry standard" now.
    WordStar was the standard and I loved the keyboard shortcuts it and all other top software of that time period employed. I've never been able to find any logic to the WordPerfect shortcuts and haven't even seen the program in over 10 years. Does anyone even use it anymore? Wasn't it a product of some company in Canada that also had (or has) a drawing application
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Re: 3.2 Toggle grrrrr!

I think this implementation (Space bar = Push Tool) is consistent for both versions and the work around it to change it back with the Shortcuts utility.

But my argument is if we want to be more like Illustrator then instead of the zippy new right button drag and duplicate (drag any selection with the right mouse button and when you release it a duplicate is left behind) why not use the always popular drag and Alt click to drop a duplicate? After all, that's the way to drop a duplicate in Illustrator.

How many people actually ever use the Push Tool and what was wrong with using the new hold down the scroll wheel and drag option? I think there was also an Alt key + X that used to toggle between the Push Tool and the last used tool. (That function is gone though Alt Z still toggles between the Zoom Tool and the last selected tool

Gary