Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Galloping Squirrel Ranch, Bend, Oregon, USA

Default 3.2 Toggle grrrrr!

I use the space bar to toggle between any two tools all the time. Now the space bar only toggles between the tool you are currently using and the push tool. I want it back the way it was, or give me a new 1 key shortcut to replace...i.e. no finger acrobatics needed.

Judi

Default Re: 3.2 Toggle grrrrr!

Judi do you have the Pro version? If so you can use the Xtreme Pro Shortcuts application (in the Xara Menu under All Programs).

In the Group selection choose Tools.
    In the Command selection choose Switch to Selector Tool.
    In the Keystroke selection choose Space.
    Click the Change button before clicking the Save & Apply button.

Thanks to Charles Moir and Gary Priestor for this tip!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	toggle-selector.gif 
Views:	465 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	38771  
    Last edited by Soquili; 12 June 2007 at 06:31 PM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

No, I do not have the Pro version...Am I being punished?

I surely hope not!

My understanding is the change was made to make Xara Xtreme work more like Adobe Illustrator. Adobe must use the space bar to toggle the Push Tool. Not sure as I don't have Illustrator here at work and I rarely use it at home.

Check your Xara menu in the All programs. Looking at the Xara website list that shows the features of Xtreme and Xtreme Pro, there is a red circle with a white X in the Xtreme column for the Short cut key configuration. So I would not expect you to find the configuration applicaition.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    I surely hope not!

My understanding is the change was made to make Xara Xtreme work more like Adobe Illustrator. Adobe must use the space bar to toggle the Push Tool. Not sure as I don't have Illustrator here at work and I rarely use it at home.

Check your Xara menu in the All programs. Looking at the Xara website list that shows the features of Xtreme and Xtreme Pro, there is a red circle with a white X in the Xtreme column for the Short cut key configuration. So I would not expect you to find the configuration applicaition.
    Let me get this straight: xtreme - not the pro version - gets a useful feature removed 'in order to be more like illustrator' !
    Not only that but surely a totally pointless change for all with a wheel mouse.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Steve the change was made to both versions of Xtreme. It appears that the short cut configuration may only be available for the Pro version. I don't have the non-Pro version so I don't know if it is available with Xara Xtreme.

I personally have never seen a use for the push tool. But then I'm only a hobbiest user of graphics applications.

I'm downloading the Xara Xtreme trial version to test on another computer. There may be a workaround to change the space bar to toggle the Selector Tool.
    Last edited by Soquili; 12 June 2007 at 07:28 PM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Hi Bill

My point exactly - the pro users can change this illustrator compatibility but the non pro users cannot.
    Some mistake here surely?

Can you tell me why anyone would want to toggle to push if they have a wheel mouse?
    And if I were not a pro user? - would I care about illustrator compatability? - yet I would be the one stuck with the change.

Don't make sense.

Hopefull like you say - theres a workround
    Just seem so silly otherwise.........
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hi Steve,

I think most Illustrator users are also Mac users and they don't have (or most of them use the default Apple mouse) wheel mouse or even a 3 button mouse. Many designers that use Illustrator are not interested in learning new applications. In order to open the market for Xara programs it will be easier to attract Illustrator users if the program functions the way Illustrator users are accustomed.

I finished the download and installed the Xtreme trial version and unfortunately there does not appear to be a work around.

I cannot find any registry entries that would apply and the program doesn't use configuration files the way the Pro version uses them.
    Last edited by Soquili; 12 June 2007 at 08:07 PM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    Hi Bill

My point exactly - the pro users can change this illustrator compatibility but the non pro users cannot.
    Some mistake here surely?

Can you tell me why anyone would want to toggle to push if they have a wheel mouse?
    And if I were not a pro user? - would I care about illustrator compatability? - yet I would be the one stuck with the change.

Don't make sense.

Hopefull like you say - theres a workround
    Just seem so silly otherwise.........
    Maybe I was right, non Pro users are being punished, not only by removing a helpful shortcut with one I will never use and for not being an Illustrator user!
    Last edited by Judi A; 12 June 2007 at 07:58 PM.

Bill

we are at cross purposes here?

Xara users [not many mac] will mostly have wheel mice. Middle button is push.
    Do not therefore need to toggle push with spacebar fullstop.

That said agree that you may open xara up to illustrator if you give familiar commands - but this in the pro version of xara surely?
    Its highly ironic that its in the non-pro version of xara that dosn't compete with illustrator, the users are stuck with a pretty redundant feature.

Judi

you have my sympathy
    Nothing lasts forever...