Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Default Re: Xtreme Pro 3.2 & Xtreme 3.2 Released!

I honestly don't give a rip that Magix bought Xara, but it's about one of the clumsiest executions I've seen, and a great textbook definition of software acquisitions gone wrong.

1. The reason the cash grab is happening is because the income doesn't just go to the developers anymore. It has to contribute to the inbound revenue of the overall corporation - from the janitor in the building to the well-endowed receptionist who needs braces for her children. Xara will have to support the lives of non-developers, aid in the R&D funds of new product development and/or acquisitions, etc.

2. Magix would have been wise to buy the company at a massive discount solely because they had just issued a major release (xara x pro). They could have said "We're going to have to keep your staff afloat until the next build and not make a nickel on anything until then". They would have got the company for a great deal, and wouldn't have pi**ed off the user base in the process.

I really hope this isn't the sort of value Magix brings to the table long-term.

Actually, I haven't found an upgrade of software that I use that is a point upgrade that I pay for. When was the last time you paid for WinXP.SP2 or Adobe CS2.3 etc? Granted, Adobe is way over priced! I don't know the agenda behind the price for a point upgrade. But the user should decide if it's worth it. I don't think it is, but that's just me. If you do buy and don't like it, you should have known better. I also have several other web based products I purchased and use, a shopping cart etc, they never charge until a full release. I don't have any software I use that has a charge for point upgrades, does any one else? Just wondering!
    Last edited by RedWombat; 22 June 2007 at 02:54 AM.

Red

Big Plan Creative - Napoleon had one . . . Einstein had one . . . Do you have one?

Quote Originally Posted by RedWombat View Post
    I don't have any software I use that has a charge for point upgrades, does any one else? Just wondering!
    Nope, all software I have don`t charge for point upgrades. (well one exception now. )
    be aware, not to become a ware.

Inivis charged for upgrading AC3D modeller from 6.0 to 6.1.
    Last edited by lo-tekk; 22 June 2007 at 07:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedWombat View Post
    I don't know the agenda behind the price for a point upgrade.
    quotation from Magix' last six-month report:
    "The VAR channel envisages high margins from low quantities. This can only be achieved with highprice products. As the portfolio of MAGIX is generally located in the low-price segment, the professional graphics products of Xara will enable access to this distribution channel."
    source: Six-month Report 2006/2007 (PDF file)

btw: the price for the other professional tools from MAGIX is from 1029,- EUR up to 2029,- EUR in the professional music segment. Not sure, how big the market for such products is and not sure, if this is also the goal for the professional graphics products of Xara.

Remi

*gives my head a shake*

So... am I reading that right? They bought it so they could jack the price up and make it a breadwinner?

The only software that comes to mind to me for charging a point upgrade was WS_FTP Pro. I seem to recall having to pay somewhere along the way when upgrading during versions 6 or 7. Having said that, it does go against the norm of my experience to pay for a point upgrade. Every other software I have did not charge.

.joroho.
    Wise men still seek Him.

Question Re: Xtreme Pro 3.2 & Xtreme 3.2 Released!

If I skip this upgrade how does that work for the next paid upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by Know1 View Post
    If I skip this upgrade how does that work for the next paid upgrade?
    I would think you pay more then the ones who did upgrade.
    Otherwise I would just not upgrade anymore.
    be aware, not to become a ware.

Quote Originally Posted by berklee View Post
    *gives my head a shake*

So... am I reading that right? They bought it so they could jack the price up and make it a breadwinner?
    One cigar for Berklee! :-)

Magic Samplitude and Sequoia are some of the highest priced digital recording studio software out there. More or less in the same price range as Cubase SX, Nuendo, Logic, etc.

Coming soon-the $700 Xtreme Pro Super Deluxe XL!