Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Default Re: Xtreme Pro 3.2 & Xtreme 3.2 Released!

Well, I took the time to read through this thread. I'm not sure I see the advantages of upgrading yet. Over the years I've purchased and tried nearly every product from Xara. I stopped at Xtreme. I didn't even purchase Pro. I would like to see a better upgrade for those of us who have multiple Xara products. And I don't need another copy of X3D. How about another $10 off if we already own that or some of the other Xara products? I might do the upgrade at some point, but not right now. I'm just not sold on it.

Red

Big Plan Creative - Napoleon had one . . . Einstein had one . . . Do you have one?

Thanks, Neil! Everything is working fine now!

I'm really kind of shocked by this...

Xara has knocked my socks off since CorelXara! many years ago.

I was kind of miffed when I saw the Xara-XaraXtreme-XaraXtreme Pro upgrade path happen, and now we're paying for point upgrades?

I love this software, but it's starting to feel like it's shifting from a low-cost alternative to a higher-cost package with a payment plan...

Neil,

Is the 'charge for point upgrades' part of the new business plan?

If so, please say it out loud, because it will clearly determine my future with Xara.

Quote Originally Posted by berklee View Post
    Neil,

Is the 'charge for point upgrades' part of the new business plan?

If so, please say it out loud, because it will clearly determine my future with Xara.
    Well said, Berklee. I brought this up elsewhere when the point upgrade was announced. According to the fan boys and cheerleaders, we should just be grateful and suck it up and pay and pay and pay for each point upgrade at Xara's discretion. The fact that most companies do not charge for point upgrades and bug fixes totally escaped the sheep.

This shows either their blind unquestioning cult like devotion or else that they buy very little software.
    Last edited by Doug; 21 June 2007 at 08:07 PM.

Maybe it's because I was fortunate enough to find CorelXara about 7 years ago in a dollar-store clearance bin for a dollar.

I've upgraded to Xara X, Xara Xtreme, Xara Xtreme Pro, and purchased Xara3D. Now in order to get a MAINTENANCE UPDATE (which despite all these value-adds, is all it is... I didn't ask for the Magix product, nor do I want it), I have to pay 70 dollars?

I don't know if it's Xara, Magix, or who is directly responsible for this, but I see it as a kick in the face to anyone who's remained loyal.

To those who are willing to open their wallet every time Xara say they changed a font on something or stopped something from crashing, good on ya. But for guys like me who work 20 hours a week, I can't afford it. So my exposure to new features has to be limited, and what was once a great low-cost alternative seems to be slowly turning into just another high-end graphics platform with little or no respect for its user base.

The update was rushed out as a way to make some money from Xara Xtreme for the new owners, Magix. Nothing more, nothing less.

Quote Originally Posted by berklee View Post
    Maybe it's because I was fortunate enough to find CorelXara about 7 years ago in a dollar-store clearance bin for a dollar.

I've upgraded to Xara X, Xara Xtreme, Xara Xtreme Pro, and purchased Xara3D. Now in order to get a MAINTENANCE UPDATE (which despite all these value-adds, is all it is... I didn't ask for the Magix product, nor do I want it), I have to pay 70 dollars?

I don't know if it's Xara, Magix, or who is directly responsible for this, but I see it as a kick in the face to anyone who's remained loyal.

To those who are willing to open their wallet every time Xara say they changed a font on something or stopped something from crashing, good on ya. But for guys like me who work 20 hours a week, I can't afford it. So my exposure to new features has to be limited, and what was once a great low-cost alternative seems to be slowly turning into just another high-end graphics platform with little or no respect for its user base.

Everyone has an opinion and as has been often mentioned by people through out the ages some of them stink .

By the way the Moderators are not employed by Xara Group Ltd and do not receive any special discounts for upgrades.

So here's my opinion, if the odor is too much please consider the source

Can any one that has complained about paying for the upgrade provide a business plan that would allow a small software company to remain in business and satisfy every complaint? And also consider that being newly aquired by another company you may also have to show a profit in a very short term.

Can any one say that any other software company listens to their user base and provides the feedback that we see from Xara Group Ltd? Or an updated download version in less than 10 days, that has corrected some problems identified in the forums?

Other than one free point upgrade from Jasc (PSP 8 to PSP 8.1), I have never received a free point upgrade to any software I have. Would some of you please tell me where you get your free upgrades?

Just my opinion, and like many it probably stinks to most everyone
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    Can any one that has complained about paying for the upgrade provide a business plan that would allow a small software company to remain in business and satisfy every complaint? And also consider that being newly aquired by another company you may also have to show a profit in a very short term.
    1. If you're purchase by another company, it's because they know you're a good long-term investment (and likely with a loyal customer base). Jumping at a short-term cash grab is a BAD decision.

2. The same way they've done it up to this point - write good software and get it out there. People will notice and spread via word of mouth.

Can any one say that any other software company listens to their user base and provides the feedback that we see from Xara Group Ltd? Or an updated download version in less than 10 days, that has corrected some problems identified in the forums?
    Yes. Sony.

Other than one free point upgrade from Jasc (PSP 8 to PSP 8.1), I have never received a free point upgrade to any software I have. Would some of you please tell me where you get your free upgrades?
    Sony Acid and Mackie Tracktion come to mind off the top of my head. I can give you more if I haven't made my point yet.

Just my opinion, and like many it probably stinks to most everyone
    Hey man, everyone's entitled to one.

Hi Barklee,

Thanks for the reply.

Jumping at a short-term cash grab is a BAD decision.
    Unfortunately over the past 7 to 10 years I have seen more of the BAD decision types of moves by many companies around the world.

Just to mention one recently in the news, Deimler and Chrysler. Was the original purchase of Chrysler by Deimler a good decision?

Yes. Sony.
    That is good to know. I wasn't aware Sony sold software. A google search showed the two programs you mention are related to music and musicians. I'll have to keep them in mind when I need to replace my current sound software. I may need it sooner than later, the program I use was bought by another company and they no longer support the application.
    Last edited by Soquili; 21 June 2007 at 09:02 PM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update