Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Default Re: Xtreme Pro 3.2 & Xtreme 3.2 Released!

Quote Originally Posted by Xhris View Post
    Well, lets take this and discuss it. This may be a 'point' upgrade, but it actually adds significant new features that were not present in 3.0. It is therefore not feasible to give it away for free.

It was also recently brought to my attention that neither Microsoft nor Adobe give bug fixed versions away for free.

Illustrator has significant numbers of known bugs that Adobe will not fix - some which can reliably crash the final releases of software.

There is always scope in complex software for bugs to exist, but Xara has considerably fewer bugs than the competition.

And another point people are missing: Xara do give bug fixes away for free; minor updates that are released after a major release address the serious bugs found. Clear evidence of this from Xara is the release of 3.2.1 just days after 3.2.

These points invalidate any arguments that are being made here that Xara is not taking bugs seriously and is making you pay for upgrades to address them.
    In your opinion. Some new features, yes. Signifigant? To you maybe. If the release was really that good, Xara would be the first to call it version 4-a full SIGNIFIGANT upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    Question then...
    I'm sure there are fixes for issues in 3.0 in 3.21. To state things from a coders perspective: I'm pretty sure that it's not technically feasible to release bug fixes separately, as the code that has to be changed to fix the bugs might overlap with code that implements new features. Even if there are no direct overlaps, it's likely that features and bug fixes can affect each other indirectly through other layers of code.

It would take a monumental effort (away from generally advancing the product) to separate bug fixes from each other or from new features, and then test all those different versions and keep patch downloads up to date.

Do MS or Adobe release separate compilation bug fixes like this for free for their vector software? Or are they only available when you buy a new version (i.e. one with new features)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    In your opinion. Some new features, yes. Signifigant? To you maybe. If the release was really that good, Xara would be the first to call it version 4-a full SIGNIFIGANT upgrade.
    New features are observed fact. Xara released 3.2 with it's customers in mind. As they explained: they released 3.2 because it contained features that were implemented in the release of the Magix version, and Xara wanted the Xara users to have access to them as well now, seeing as they were done. Thus Xara users could have the latest greatest version. There were new features, so it can't be given away for free. Coincidentally, bugs in complex overlapping code were fixed as always during the product life cycle. I really can't see the justification anymore for complaints about bug fixes given what's been said in my last two posts.
    Last edited by Xhris; 24 June 2007 at 02:51 AM.

I'm sure there are fixes for issues in 3.0 in 3.21. To state things from a coders perspective: I'm pretty sure that it's not technically feasible to release bug fixes separately, as the code that has to be changed to fix the bugs might overlap with code that implements new features. Even if there are no direct overlaps, it's likely that features and bug fixes can affect each other indirectly through other layers of code.

It would take a monumental effort (away from generally advancing the product) to separate bug fixes from each other or from new features, and then test all those different versions and keep patch downloads up to date.

Do MS or Adobe release separate compilation bug fixes like this for free for their vector software? Or are they only available when you buy a new version (i.e. one with new features)
    Yes I hear what you say, and actually I understand this.
    And I am happy with the upgrade myself.
    But you can appreciate the disgruntlement of those who need bug fixes but not the features?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    But you can appreciate the disgruntlement of those who need bug fixes but not the features?
    Yes, and I'm one of them. But it's a complete misdirection of voice to complain in the manner being done so here given the unique release situation. I've just been trying to provide some understanding. I'm sure with the next big release, there will not only be big new features, but yet more bugs fixed in the ever evolving code - most likely the old ones people bark about the most, and new ones introduced by the new features.

My opinions are not present here.
    Right-because you mistake your opinions for some universal truth.

Whatever!

Have a real nice day now Bye-bye!

ROTFLMAO!!!

t was also recently brought to my attention that neither Microsoft nor Adobe give bug fixed versions away for free.
    Err.. Microsoft and Adobe supply free upgrades to their software at various times.

Well just about all software has bugs, so nobody supplies bug fixed versions..

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    Err.. Microsoft and Adobe supply free upgrades to their software at various times.

Well just about all software has bugs, so nobody supplies bug fixed versions..

Paul
    MS has money to burn, and does Adobe give free upgrades away to free software, or paid software? I get free updates to the free acrobat reader. I'd be surprised if Adobe or MS gave away free upgrades to their graphics software that competes with Xara.

I'd be surprised if Adobe or MS gave away free upgrades to their graphics software that competes with Xara.
    Well, be surprised then. All of the Adobe software I've purchased have had free updates (updaters) during their lifetimes. MS regularly supplies updates (service packs) to their OS software and also MS office. I don't own any other MS graphics products (besides VISIO).

Most companies freeze the software once they release a 'significant' (whatever that is) update that requires the user to pay. One fantastic exception to this has been Newtek (www.newtek.com) that doesn't currently charge for point releases even though they often include significant functionality enhancement.

None of this is a dig at Xara BTW, just refuting your statement that free upgrades/updates don't exist from Adobe/MS.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    Well, be surprised then. All of the Adobe software I've purchased have had free updates (updaters) during their lifetimes. MS regularly supplies updates (service packs) to their OS software and also MS office. I don't own any other MS graphics products (besides VISIO).

Most companies freeze the software once they release a 'significant' (whatever that is) update that requires the user to pay. One fantastic exception to this has been Newtek (www.newtek.com) that doesn't currently charge for point releases even though they often include significant functionality enhancement.

None of this is a dig at Xara BTW, just refuting your statement that free upgrades/updates don't exist from Adobe/MS.

Paul
    Hi Paul. Oh yeah, I know MS and Adobe give free updates away to some software. But I wasn't sure it was given away for their vector graphics software. Is it - I'm not sure? And if so, it is analogous to Xara releasing 3.2.1 after 3.2, or is it analogous to releasing 3.2 for free to 3.0 - i.e. giving new features away? I suspect they don't give anything new away for free. The criticisms have come about because it was +0.2; it may only be 3.2, but it was a frozen release with significant-enough new features that came about due to unique circumstances (the new Magix release). This of course doesn't mean I don't want bug fixes. Anyway, that's all that can probably be said really without repeating things.
    Last edited by Xhris; 24 June 2007 at 04:22 PM.

'My name is Sahra X, king of kings:
    Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!'
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...