Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Problems with .ai files

Hello,

I've really done it now! I boasted that Xara could import .ai files and it doesn't work. Here are the errors:

Page1.ai
    Error detected in EPS file at line9 [2]
    Page2.ai
    Error detected in EPS file at line 7[ 256]
    Page3.ai
    Error detected in EPS file at line 402 [28]

I've tried to attach them here but they would not all upload them. Maybe they are too large so I've put them into a directory on my website at:
    http://www.catharina.ca/ai/Page1.ai
    http://www.catharina.ca/ai/Page2.ai
    http://www.catharina.ca/ai/Page3.ai

Any help would be very much appreciated,
    Cat =^..^=
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Problems with .ai files

Imports fine for me as a PDF.

Hi Catharina,

you can export the files from Adobe Illustrator as PDF and import them within the newest Xara Xtreme versions. Xara Xtreme's .ai import filter is outdated. If you don't own Adobe Illustrator, try to rename the files as .pdf files and try to import them.

Regards,
    Remi

Importing them as PDF's works but the images are all weird and the fonts are not as the original. The document info says that I need Myriad in it's various weights and styles.

That's the problem, I don't own Illustrator. I'll ask for them as PDF's and see how that goes.

Thanks for your help,
    Cat =^..^=

Cat the files are already .pdf formatted. If you open one of them in notepad you will see the header states they are pdf 1.4

Older .ai files are a form of EPS and the newer .ai files are a form of PDF.

You can do a google search for the Myriad font.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Don't you all love the line that goes:-

"Company Name" cold calling service creates a win-win situation for organizations and their salespeople.
    It doesn't mention the potential customers (read: victims!) who are left as gibbering idiots at the end of their phone lines (of which they pay the rental) after being called at 10 am whilst on night shift for the seventh time that day by a gentleman from Delhi called "Dougal" wanting to inform him of the "good news" that he can have the latest Nokia 5001 XZ mobile phone at an unbelievable, never to be repeated, knock-down price, regardless of the fact that he has informed this same company 431 times that he has been declared bankrupt, insolvent and psychologically unstable and to kindly remove his name from their database before he commits murder in the name of this "win-win scenario" ..........

Oh, apart from that Catharina, the file opens fine
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 10 July 2007 at 05:15 AM.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi,

Nice trick to import .AI files by importing them as PDF files
    But on the other hand sad that you need to know tricks to get Xtreme to do the job for you

What I did was:
    1. Open a empty document
    2. Choose "Import" (Ctrl+Shift+I)
    3. Locate and select the .AI file (with file type set to ALL)
    4. Change file type to "PDF (*.pdf)"
    5. Press Open
    Some fonts I have not, so they are substituded of cause.

Interesting files btw
    Cheers,

Sten
    "Everything has two sides"

Opened in both XPro and Illy. The file was generated with a mixture of RGB and CMYK colour mode and that is why the 2nd page bitmap does not appear well to put it mildly at the bitmap header at the top and the first page you will have to download CMYK template from the Xone to see the correct colours. If you want I will upload both pages but if you are using the most up to date version of XPro you should be able to do it yourself, ask away here if you want that done. Had to convert all text to shapes in both page 1 & 3 so all text is non editable.
    Last edited by Albacore; 10 July 2007 at 10:22 AM.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Thumbs up Re: Problems with .ai files

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post

.. before he commits murder in the name of this "win-win scenario" ..........
    ...tee...hee....I don't write em, I just post em...

Renaming them as pdf's works great....thanks ever so much! I was trying to import them too and was using your method, netsi, but if I don't need to change them and just post them then this is perfect! When I do the website I will only need the images in screen resolution and I'll be using a web safe font.

Nice to learn what XtremePro can do tho regarding importing of Illustrator files. I have not worked enough with it to justify the expense. I only need to open the odd file now and then, and some of them are very odd indeed!

Albacore, any chance of getting a link to that CMYK template from the Xone here? I'd like to have a look.

Thanks for the help folks!
    Cat =^..^=

Hi Cat,

I think THIS is the one Albacore means (about one third down the page)

Egg
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host