Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: making brushes

Default making brushes

I have been trying to make a line brush that looks like a hand drawn line with shaky imperfections. My problem is I can't figure out how to make it appear as a continuous line when making it into a brush. I get straight lines that kind of intersect, but don't flow.

Any help would be appriciated,

Jen

Default Re: making brushes

Hmm... that's a tough one. Perhaps using a dot or circle instead of a line segment will get closer to what you want?

I can get a kind of 'roughened' line (attached), but I don't think that is exactly what you are looking for.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Jen have you tried using the Freehand and Brush Tool with the Freehand Smoothing set to a low number? Just draw your lines without a custom brush. Set the line width and stroke style you want after drawing the line.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	freehand.gif 
Views:	271 
Size:	10.8 KB 
ID:	38632  
    Last edited by Soquili; 07 June 2007 at 04:16 PM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

am working on this one as we speak - it's a toughie
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by mightyfun View Post
    I have been trying to make a line brush that looks like a hand drawn line with shaky imperfections. My problem is I can't figure out how to make it appear as a continuous line when making it into a brush. I get straight lines that kind of intersect, but don't flow.

Any help would be appriciated,

Jen
    You could just draw a line with the freehand tool, setting the freehand smoothing down to 0%. Then all your wobbly hand movements are automatically captured and not smoothed out.

(I really should read further down the thread...Soquili already answered this way...)

Name:	line.png 
Views:	253 
Size:	2.9 KB 
ID:	38636  

Quote Originally Posted by Xhris View Post
    You could just draw a line with the freehand tool, setting the freehand smoothing down to 0%. Then all your wobbly hand movements are automatically captured and not smoothed out.

(I really should read further down the thread...Soquili already answered this way...)
    ah so you are talking about making the line weight 'wobbly' - fair enough - but thats just cosmetic

lets now talk about making the detail of the line itself come and go like it would with a real pen - skips and glides - that sort of thing
    any ideas?
    Nothing lasts forever...

brush made of three irregular blobs used to produce a very quick clown sketch.
    Derek

Name:	clown face.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	38637  

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    ah so you are talking about making the line weight 'wobbly' - fair enough - but thats just cosmetic

lets now talk about making the detail of the line itself come and go like it would with a real pen - skips and glides - that sort of thing
    any ideas?
    Skips and glides? Do you mean if you were to draw a pencil line on a piece of paper, and take a high resolution photo and zoom in; recreating that detail in a brush?

Quote Originally Posted by masque View Post
    brush made of three irregular blobs used to produce a very quick clown sketch.
    Derek
    like that derek, thanks
    I'm currently going for a line rather like the pencil in artrage or painter - see attachment

Quote Originally Posted by Xhris View Post
    Skips and glides? Do you mean if you were to draw a pencil line on a piece of paper, and take a high resolution photo and zoom in; recreating that detail in a brush?
    yes
    it was a rhetorical question really.
    I have a dozen or so pencil types
    and twice as many paper types
    and the subtle differences that are made by the hand are far more complex than you can get with a tablet
    more to the point - with a digital brush you have to define the parameters before you make the line, its not your hand thats really in control - good craft maybe but not art IMO

EDIT: By which I mean not art in the traditional sense of course. Derek and Ron and others produce wonderful digital art and I am in awe of some of the work that is produced. Its just that a computer screen is not a sheet of waterford or fabriano, and it will never display the same three dimensional effect and more to the point the tablet doesn't react that way either .

Name:	ar-lpencil-line.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	38641  
    Last edited by handrawn; 08 June 2007 at 08:57 AM.
    Nothing lasts forever...

Nice masque & handrawn