Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Rescuing macdraw/clarisdraw files

Hi Guys

I wonder if any of you are old enough to remember Macdraw / Claris draw?

I've got a shed load of these types of files on an old mac from 20 years or so ago that I would love to rescue and develop further with xara. I've tried saving and transferring them in the several formats offered by Claris draw, but with only partial success. I've also tried the main conversion program (I forget it's name just now) without any joy. Appleworks for windows doesn't manage it either.

What I need then, is something that will transfer Claris draw / Macdraw files into xara without too much loss of essential information. I know my chances are slim to xaro, but I have to ask.

Thanks for your time

anthony

Default Re: Rescuing macdraw/clarisdraw files

Anthony

Perhaps post a sample or two - then we can try whatever tools we have.
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

I was going to suggest this way but I thought I better check in Google first before I let my mouth get the better of me. Have a look at this site: http://www.macdisk.com/mcdrawen.php3
    Design is thinking made visual.

I have an old version of ClarisWorks 5.0 for Windows, and was thinking that it should be possible to quickly swap from Appleworks to ClarisWorks for Windows to Xara, but unfortunitely that isn't the case.
    ClarisWorks for windows isn't much help as the only Xara compatible file formats it saves to are BMP, JPG, and GIF. I"m pretty sure Appleworks will save to those formats as well, so saving to ClarisWorks for Windows would be an irrelevant step.
    However, the graphics program in AppleWorks is pretty primative so any bitmap shapes and fills imported into Xara could easily be traced on a separate layer.
    Not a simple conversion to Vector shapes as I believe you were hoping for , but it could be done.
    Alternatively just Import your Appleworks projects as bitmap images and do your best. All is not lost!
    - Andrew
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thank you guys, for taking the trouble

Stlewis . . Neat idea, but this ancient mac communicates with the outside world entirely by floppy disc.

Albacore . . Good find! Never seen that page before. Though sadly I've already tried most of the methods over the years.

AndFarr . . You're absolutely correct in your assessment. "Nae paddle" as we say in Scotland.

Thanks again guys.

Hi Rodzo

I have an application on my Mac called EazyDraw which says it can open Macdraw/Clarisdraw files. It can export PDF and EPS files. I don't have any Macdraw/Clarisdraw files to experiment with, but if you want me to test a file, feel free to send me a private message and I'll forward my email address (if it's not in my profile).

Best wishes
    Amanda

You are quite correct, Amanda. Unfortunately it still loses data.

Nice thought, though. Thank you.

Anthony