Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default setting objects to a path

Hi,

I know how to set text to a path. This is not about that -- but I would like to know if there is a way to set objects to a path.

I would like to align some small colored dots around a circle. I've already distributed them evenly.

I know I could do it in a tedious "snap to objects" way... Are there other options?

Thanks!
    Karla
    IP

Default Re: setting objects to a path

If you are using dots of all the same size you and it is around a circular path, it is easy to do it with a blend. You start with your beginning and ending circle, blend between them, specify the number of steps. If you have not drawn your path, you need to do so. On the Property Bar when you are using the blend tool, you have an option of assigning a new path, the cursor will change to a curvey arrow, use this to click on the path you want. Also tell it to blend evenly along the path and to rotate. What this will do is to align the centers on the path. If your centers are not what you want aligned but one of the edges, you need to find the beginning and ending object, double click to get your rotation arrows, and then drag the center rotation axis to the edge or whatever part of the object you want aligned to the path, and do this as well on the ending object. This should do the trick.

If all of your objects are different, you should use Alex Valenko's script from oberonplace.com. This script will space any group of objects along a path. But if all objects are the same, the blend tool does this nicely.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

thanks so much Sally.

I got the basic idea. But now I need to color each circle along the path a different color. Is there a way to do that? I can't ungroup it...

Do I need to the script you mentioned for that?

Blessings,
    Karla
    IP

If you are going to color the dots differently from what a blend would do, blending from one color to the other, then yes, break the blend apart and ungroup it. Draw can also blend in intermediate steps, as well as holding Alt down and you can draw the path with your mouse while blending between object. Obviously not the way to do it if you are blending on a circle.

Another way is to figure out how many dots you have and divide that number into 360 degrees. Then you can use the Transform docker being sure you have the center of rotation at the vertex of the circle you are revolving the dots around. Just one duplicatin and you can Ctrl "R" around with the rest of 'em and then just color them, no need to ungroup or break a blend apart that way.

I like the script that Alex wrote, and if I was designing jewelry, would be a good script to have. If you have multi-colored object you are revolving and you are just looking to shift the hue, you can do that with Hue/Saturation/Lightness Ctrl - Shift-"U" from inside of DRAW, it works on both vectors and bitmaps. Be sure to turn the lock on so you can see your edits. It works well will Ctrl "B" to get the correct intensity and contrast.

Remember that Ctrl "U", you can shift even the colors in gradients that way. Very handy.
    Last edited by sallybode; 06 June 2007 at 08:44 PM.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

Sally - I can't figure out how to ungroup my circles once they are set on the path... The "ungroup" option is not highlighted when I go to select it.

How do I ungroup it??

Thanks, Karla
    IP

oh Sally, never mind --- I found it -- something must have been screwy when I tried it before, becasue I see it clear as day now... it says "break blend apart" and then I was able to ungroup...

thanks!
    IP

now the problem I've run into, is that the size of the circles on the blend go from original, down in size, and then back bigger towards original size... they aren't all the same size unless I change each circle after ungrouping.

Is the a way to blend and have all of the circles the same size???
    IP

does anyone know the answer to my last question??
    IP

The ususal reason why that may occur has to do with that one of the circles was flipped when it was duplicated. I know that seems strange but each perfect shape has a direction to the path and so long as the shapes have the paths going in the same direction, they behave themselves. Now if you have a circumstance when you want this to occur, you can flip one before you blend it.

It is also possible that when you created the blend that the two circles were not identical, then you will not get all the objects in between as duplicates when they are techincally different on each end. Check your Property Bar to see if the height and width of the start and end circle are the same and if they also are the same percentage.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by kar-po View Post
    now the problem I've run into, is that the size of the circles on the blend go from original, down in size, and then back bigger towards original size... they aren't all the same size unless I change each circle after ungrouping.

Is the a way to blend and have all of the circles the same size???

Blending along a path has some strange idiosyncrocies. To get it to work reliably use the following approach after applying the blend to the path.
    First check "Blend along full path", then uncheck "Blend along full path" then check "Rotate all objects" before finally rechecking "Blend along full path".
    Crazy I know, but in my experience that's the only way it works reliably. Other methods may appear to have worked, but as well as the problems you have encountered, often the spacing is not entirely accurate .

Sark
    IP