Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rectangle rotation tip

Well, once again I discovered something I didn't know in Xara despite over 10 years of use. This one's been in Xara since CorelXara I've just checked...

After drawing a rectangle with the rectangle tool, dragging the corner will scale; however, shift-dragging causes rotation. This also applies using the selector tool and having "show object edit handles" on the infobar selected - a very useful feature I suspect is overlooked, and is off by default.
    Last edited by Xhris; 04 June 2007 at 01:47 AM.

Default Re: Rectangle rotation tip

I couldn't get this one to work. Applying the 'shift' key, while dragging a rectangle did nothing. What did I do wrong?

Me neither . . drip . . drip

In XPro, you create the rectangle, release the mouse button, then while still in the rectangle tool, shift and drag the corner handles to rotate.

Haven't tried other version.

Hi,

Also applies to other (quick)shapes as well
    keeps also the width/height intact when moving in or outward the shape
    Not only when the shape tool is selected also with normalpointer tool

Gr,Hans
    Last edited by haakoo; 04 June 2007 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenWWinters View Post
    In XPro, you create the rectangle, release the mouse button, then while still in the rectangle tool, shift and drag the corner handles to rotate.

Haven't tried other version.
    Yes sorry, the key was "While still in the rectangle tool". I should have emphasised that more. Even though you can do it with the selector tool with the "show object edit handles" button on the infobar selected.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rotation Trick.png 
Views:	266 
Size:	8.0 KB 
ID:	38525  
    Last edited by Xhris; 04 June 2007 at 02:44 PM.

unless I'm doing something wrong, either method (with the shift key only) will not only rotate, but scale too. If you hold both shift and control, you can constrain the size and angle.

Quote Originally Posted by Xhris View Post
    Yes sorry, the key was "While still in the rectangle tool". I should have emphasised that more. Even though you can do it with the selector tool with the "show object edit handles" button on the infobar selected.
    Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by glenngosack View Post
    unless I'm doing something wrong, either method (with the shift key only) will not only rotate, but scale too. If you hold both shift and control, you can constrain the size and angle.
    It scales (maintaining aspect ratio) as well as rotate, but you get access to rotation with shift held down.

Well, that was absolutely great! You are indeed correct. It works as advertised.

In my case, it also wiped out all my settings, painstakingly modified toolbars and a weeks worth of named colours, which I seem unable by any means to get back.

Just thought I'd share that with you. Thanks a bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodzo View Post
    In my case, it also wiped out all my settings, painstakingly modified toolbars and a weeks worth of named colours, which I seem unable by any means to get back.
    Which settings did you lose? I've just tried to reproduce your problem, but so far I haven't lost anything.