Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hey, I just noticed that if you export a bunch of gradient fills to CMYK Tiff, it makes a better output blend than if you take the same image and export to RGB Tiff and then convert it to CMYK in Photoshop. Try it on a blue to green gradient filled object and you will see that the gradient CMYK Tiff that Xara exports has a much smoother transition than if you try to do the conversion in photoshop.

s.g.

Hey, I just noticed that if you export a bunch of gradient fills to CMYK Tiff, it makes a better output blend than if you take the same image and export to RGB Tiff and then convert it to CMYK in Photoshop. Try it on a blue to green gradient filled object and you will see that the gradient CMYK Tiff that Xara exports has a much smoother transition than if you try to do the conversion in photoshop.

s.g.

Box Elder, SD - Home of the Sick, Twisted and totally Perverted...

The outputs are not perfect... yet. but they are much, much better than they where before. If interested, I created a PDF showing what xarax1 can output vs. inputs to other lesser graphics software.

Spent many a sleepless night beta testing. Had my wife ticked off at me more than once also. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
    John/DOT

John,

I'd be interested in seeeing your test samples (you may have to save them first with the latest release version of X1).

You can email me directly if you so desire. I can accept up to 4MEG of attachments at my Brown and Caldwell address. Send me an email (via the link for the one given for Featured Artist) and I'll give you specifics.

thanks, John

Box Elder, SD - Home of the Sick, Twisted and totally Perverted...

John,

The PDF is a of X1 outputs. Been busting my tail beta testing it every night for quite a while. I have been trying everything I can pull out of my bag of tricks. Making sure they all worked. Everything that could and should work I tried. Found bugs that were x1.0D bugs and threw them in the list of things to look at for the next rework.

Had to rework this response. The words came out right, But did not end up on the screen the way I thought they would
    John/DOT

Xara X1 CMYK gradients and transparency exported to EPS in RGBcolorspace. I sent all test files to Charles for troubleshooting.

Awaiting X1a?
    8-)
    russian ux designer
    faxenoff@gmail.com

This is not a bug. It's a fundamental point that you cannot use transparency with CMYK colour models - the two cannot mix. All transparency calculations, and this includes all transparency effects such as shadows, feathering, are done in RGB space. That's just the way it is and is unavoidable. I think I've pointed this out before and the Help says the same.

So if you want a specific CMYK colour model to remain that exact CMYK colour through the separation chain - do not put any transparency effects near it.

You can still use CMYK colours and they will separate correctly. It's just that if you mix them with transparency effects then you get a modified CMYK colours, and that should be expected.

CMYK colours are only useful for cases where you require an exact known CMYK colour, such as a company logo or Pantone colour. And for that they work exactly as intended. But CMYK colours are not useful in any general day-to-day illustration work where you use any sort of transparency effects.