Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Printers: Question re Epson Stylus R1800, HP 8750 or HP B8350

Thinking of a new large format printer. Anyone have exp. with the Epson Stylus R1800, HP 8750 or HP B8350. Run Xara Extreme on XP
    Thanks

Default Re: Printers: Question re Epson Stylus R1800, HP 8750 or HP B8350

Only that I'd go for the Epson every time

In the last 20 years I've used just about every
    make of printer there is and in terms of paper
    handling, precision, colours, reliability and
    cost of refills, Epson leaves the others for dead.

That'll be 2 cents please. Amex will do nicely.

I take the other stand for inkjet printing. Please be aware that my comments are based on Epson Stylus products from a couple of years ago...
    When I used Epson products their print heads were not very durable, and on the three machines I used they were not replaceable. So when the print head went so did the machine. Now, Epson did replace two of the three machines, but after the last one fizzeled out I bought HP and the problem went away. Their printheads are built-in the cartridge, so replace a cartridge, replace a print head.

The above referenced printers were used for printing jobsite photos, specifications, and standard office fare. The one HP has outlasted three Epsons.

Now that being said, based on comments I see on various forums, I would be wary of HP's latest offerings. It appears the quality of HP inkjet products has dropped drastically lately. (The exception being their plotters, they are great, for true large format plotting the HP is hard to beat.)

It seems that Cannon has gained a respectable following.

If possible find someone who is doing the same type of printing you want to do with the printer you are interested in and get their comments.

The newer photo paper is thicker than past products, make sure the printer you look at can handle this paper without you having to jump through hoops to make it work.

Now add my 2 cents to the previous comment and you still have nothing.

m

You can spend a lot of money on the latest printer.... the ink refills cost an arm and a leg ... the paper price is exorbitant ... the colour fastness is crap, coming on mediocre.

Why not at least consider the alternative, stick with your current printer, abandon colour printing and ... take the image down to your local chemist / drug store / print shop? I've yet to see a home printer beat the quality of these printers and whilst the cost is greater you just need to be more selective from the outset.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I agree with Egg to get the quality that professional houses gets, it takes it out of our price bracket so pay your £1 and get your local print shop to use their laser to impress your client as that is the way I do it. I have a Canon A3+ for proofing work and a A4 HP for doing photo retouching as it has 3 grey cartridges but I only print once from that because it is so expensive to run. When showing the proofing work of the Canon to client I state that it has been printed at low res. even when it has not been as the quality difference between it and a laser printer that cost £10 to £20 grand is huge.
    Design is thinking made visual.

I have always had Epson and never worn out heads - only rollers, and both those were A3 - an old Stylus 1000 (black) and a Stylus colour 1160.
    I now have an R1800 that i find magnificent. Like the others I get my standard photos printed in a photo shop - much cheaper.
    One thing to consider is what you intend to use it for and particularly the paper thickness. The Epson can be fed through the rear making it easier on the rollers as they dont have to bend the paper/card to the degree top loading does.
    Ink in R1800 isn't as cheap as my 1160. HP claim to use more of the ink in the tank.
    I always print images on the R1800 when I want odd sizes or am particular about how it comes out, but then i dont have ready access to a decent photo lab for taht sort of work.
    The epson does a neat job on Cd's but i wouldn't buy it just for that, nothing beats a pen and its much quicker.
    regards, Richard

you will find good test on printers with these links and you can see that HP and Canon are very much in the running at the quality end of the printer market.
    http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/printers_page.htm
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...0-report.shtml
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/printers.html

Thanks for the reply. The prints were to be my Xara art. After reading the posts and the ink and paper costs my letter size epson R200 will do ok. The local printers need 200 to 500 print runs of each creative, that's what has me looking at expensive new printers. Local galleries want large prints too, but a new twist on that would be to display a notebook or LCD and people can click the art and order prints! Ha, now that is interesting!

'but a new twist on that would be to display a notebook or LCD and people can click the art and order prints! Ha, now that is interesting! '
    Havent looked at them but the electronic picture frames may be a cheap way to display work - not sure how big thye come or how good the viewing is.
    So long as someone wouldn't be able to walk away with it.
    regards, Richard