Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Default Re: What are the Worst features in XPro

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hahn View Post
    That the current line colour always changes to black when the line width is changed.

-Bob.
    Bob, I am not sure I follow you on this. The line color doesn't change for me when I change the line width. It stays the color it starts out as.
    -=Bob=-

Quote Originally Posted by aridzone View Post
    1. That some objects appear to have a red outline when on a white background.
    That's a feature of RGB screen colours and subpixel rendering. This problem is present in all computer programs with certain colours, but only when displayed on pixel-based RGB devices.

You can experiment yourself - turn snap off, make a square of arbitrary uneven pixel dimension (232,1 x 211,3 for example) and toss it around, zoom in and out. Then resize and position it to even pixels. In my subjective opinion Xara handles these kind of issues better than Illustrator.

My biggest issue at the moment is "pix" abbreviation instead of "px".

My number one hate is the colour handling and colour previews (for print). No where near 'pro' at all. Pdf export can embed profiles but you can't see what they look like.
    Everything I do has to be checked in photoshop and then tweaked and exported again. Some times quit a few times especially when using gradients (which I also do a lot)

There is still a bug with preview and grouped shapes If it is on I get wierd banding. - this has been reported a couple of times.

My number 2 hate is the fact that I can't see the line colour and the fill colour at the same time in the colour editor. This is a real pain when tweaking colours - which I do a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
    My number 2 hate is the fact that I can't see the line colour and the fill colour at the same time in the colour editor. This is a real pain when tweaking colours - which I do a lot.
    Actually, that would make a lot of things easier. Also less confusing for the newbies.

Something has "bugged" me for a very long time.

Adjusting the interactive handles of the Fractal and Bitmap fills. I would say 90% of the time my cursor isn't exactly on handle-end so that when click and drag, I loose the scale and angle of the fill, then I have to control-Z to start over. I hate it, I hate it, I hate it when that happens.

.... Not only do I loose time, but I get in a lot of trouble from my neighboring colleagues for cursing rather loudly and profanely *^#&*#!

==>>> update ==>>>

Also, I think it should be easier to rotate the whole fill handle-unit or to scale it uniformally. The method we use to scale and rotate geometry is simple enough (single click to scale and skew, double click to rotate) why not use the same method for the fills via clicking on the corner of the fill handles, plus when passing the cursor over the ends of the fill handles, you could adjust an individual arm as you can now? This would enhance consistancy in the UI and reduce the learning curve.
    Last edited by jclements; 18 May 2007 at 03:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jclements View Post
    Something has "bugged" me for a very long time.

Adjusting the interactive handles of the Fractal and Bitmap fills. I would say 90% of the time my cursor isn't exactly on handle-end so that when click and drag, I loose the scale and angle of the fill, then I have to control-Z to start over. I hate it, I hate it, I hate it when that happens. Also, I think it should be easier to rotate the whole fill handle-unit or to scale it uniformally.

.... Not only do I loose time, but I get in a lot of trouble from my neighboring colleagues for cursing rather loudly and profanely *^#&*#!
    <said in good humour)
    Well if you download the *^#&*#! add-on called XARA XX Tune, you can *^#&*#! increase the *^#&*#! the blob size and you may never have to fly off the *^#&*#! handle again..

http://www.xaraxone.com/XXTune-Pro.zip

Hopes thhis *^#&*#! helps...

Well, further to my earlier post,
    I've now received the full package
    including the manual, which isn't
    half bad.

Trouble is, now I've tried it, the siren
    call of inkscape is hard to resist and I'm
    trying to find ways to convince myself
    that the easier path isn't long term going
    to be the best path and that xara was still
    a sensible investment.

So you could say that for me the
    worst three features of xara are
    inkscape, inkscape & inkscape

Quote Originally Posted by Rodzo View Post
    Trouble is, now I've tried it, the siren
    call of inkscape is hard to resist...
    Try both programmes by yourself in depth and you'll love Xara Xtreme. In discussions with Inkscape users I found out, that most of them don't own other vector graphic editors. That's often because, they aren't willing to pay money for their needs. But the problem with this is, that they also don't know the features of other vector graphic editors in depth. I would recommend, to test as much as programmes as possible. Each software has it's own charm, but in the end you fell in love with only one of them and use the others only for some additional features. Personally, I use Xara Xtreme Pro as my main vector graphics editor, because it's the fastest vector editor available since years. Besides Xara Xtreme Pro, I use sometimes Adobe Illustrator, Inkscape or a bitmap graphics editor.

Remi
    Last edited by remi; 17 May 2007 at 10:03 AM.

I understand what you are saying, but in time you will see that Xtreme is very fast and relatively intuitive, compared to other vector art software.

Other programs can have more 'bells and whistles' and can be useful for specific needs, much as I complain about 'missing' options in Xtreme, it is still the number one vector software for me. I use Expression for some things (the Creature house version-also free LOL!), especially the warp-mesh and some brushes.

I'm just dabbling with Inkscape at the mo, but the floodfill looks great and there are lots of interesting options to play with, the line thickening tool looks very interesting, others seem pointless, but hey, it's free!

Sledger, thanks for your understanding :}

Seriously though, I am aware of the "blob size enhance" but large blobs are good for some tools and not for others ... I hate discrimination don't you?