Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: DVD to Web Site

Default DVD to Web Site

I've had a question from a potential client about how to take a video, that he's had available on DVD, and put it on his web site for viewing. I have embedded flash movies, but have no idea what has to be done to embedded a video.

My work for him will be print graphics, but it would be nice to be able to point him in the right direction for this. Any help would be appreciated.

Mickie

Default Re: DVD to Web Site

Mickie, do you know if the DVD contains a mpeg or other video format?

For use on a website, it may need to be converted to either .avi or a quicktime format.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Bill,

When I look at "properties" it says it's a ATI File Player. I think the video was originally done as an infomercial for TV.

Mickie

Mickie,

ATI file player comes with ATI video cards and can play many video formats. Being an infomercial it could already be in a format compatible with websites. You may only need to copy it to a web server and place a link to the file on a web page.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Thanks Bill, I will look into that.

Mickie

If you can get the video into a format supported by the Flash video encoder you can use Flash to put it online. The encoder supports many formats - AVI, MOV, MPEG, WMV etc. If you have added Flash movies to a site, it's no different once you have the video into Flash.

Red

Big Plan Creative - Napoleon had one . . . Einstein had one . . . Do you have one?

DVD's are MPEG-2 format saved with a .vob extention. You will need a video editing program. Majic makes one but it is entry level. Adobe has an overpriced program called premiere which is rather good. Even resized video at the poorest quality makes a pretty huge file for the web (~20sec=1mb). If the user is on broadband, then a few seconds is worth while. A 15 minute infomercial will not be cost effective. Not many people will want to wait an hour for a 15 minute infomercial.

Rebuilding the video in flash would be much more cost effective.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

Mickie,

its not really a question how to embed it on a webpage, as you can embed basically everything.
    The question is which format to choose as you are always depending on the client software being able to display the stuff.

If it is flash, mpeg, svg or avi, you always rely on browsers being able to have some addin to display the content.

video formats become a problem there pretty quick as most of the codecs used are not available by default on the client pc and would require i.e. a dvd software player installed.

If possible at all, choose the flash path as the player should be the most common on all the various Operation Systems and browser plugins.

Here a complete sample of a flash object in your page:
    Embedding anything else is done completely the same way.

-----
    <object classid="clsid27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000" id="obj1" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0" border="0" width="100%" height="100%">
    <param name="movie" value="myFlashVideo.swf" />
    <param name="quality" value="High" />
    <param name="scale" value="exactfit">
    <param name="menu" value="false">
    <param name="bgcolor" value="#000000">

<embed src="myFlashVideo.swf" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" name="obj1" width="100%" height="100%" quality="High" wmode="transparent"
    ></object>

-------

Juergen