Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Administration System for website

Hello all.

I've been going through some things lately, one of which is starting my own company for websites development. If everything goes well I will start my own business.

Right now I am looking for an administration system that will enable my client to update the content of his website on his own. I know there is something liks CMS400 but it's price is way beyond my capability.

Can anyone recommend such a software?

Thanks,

Availor.

Default Re: Administration System for website

Typo 3 is one of the best CMS programs I have ever worked with.

See also the Wikipedia article about Content Management Systems.

Regards,
    Remi

Thanks a lot Remi ! I will try that out.

Will my clients be able to edit the content of their sites by themselves?

Thanks Remi i'll take a look at that too.

I was going to have a read up on macromedia contibute as it came with studio 8, has anyone used it?

Manny2k

The idea behind a CMS is the separation of the design and the content of a website:
    1. A experienced Web-Expert does the setup of the CMS (installation, configuration). After that, the Webdesigner creates a good Design for the pages in form of templates together with stylesheets, images, flash, whatever...
    2. The customer uses the CMS to insert, update and delete new content together with some comfortable tools, like a WYSIWYG editor, functions to upload images, make a part of the content visible or invisible, ...

Remi

"A Content Management System (CMS) differs from website builders like Microsoft FrontPage or Macromedia Dreamweaver. A CMS allows non-technical users to make changes to an existing website with little or no training."

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_con...agement_system

"A Content Management System (CMS) is a piece of software that runs on a server. Typically a database application, a CMS makes it easy to publish and administrate content.

Some basic features that are common to all CMSes:

Separation of content, structure and design

A CMS improves the lifecycle of your website for years to come. The "look and feel" of your site can be changed or relaunched, leaving existing content and page architecture untouched. No need to worry about copying and pasting content into another site, simply publish your new design and the CMS will pull the content into the new look.

Easy content production, no programming skills required

If you can use a computer, you can manage the content for your website. Using a graphical user interface, authors can simply create text, insert images an multimedia files, schedule content (and much more) to build and maintain a dynamic website.

This is especially true if you take advantage of TYPO3's server-side graphics generation for making image menus, graphical headlines, etc.

Just imagine: You will never need to make another menu button again, or pay a web designer to do it for you. Each time you add or change a page, the menu will automatically update to reflect the change. Having to learn or purchasing photo editing software will not be necessary. You can upload images straight to the web from your digital camera / DV camera or a scanner.
    "

source: http://www.typo3.com/What_is_a_CMS.1351.0.html

Thanks again Remi, you really help me out there!
    The idea is that I build a website (design and template) and the client will upload the content without my help.

Yes, that's excactly the reason to use a CMS, Availor.

But be warned: Typo 3 is a complex system and you need a little bit time to learn all the things behind Typo 3. There are also other Content Management Systems available with no such steep learning curves, but in the end Typo 3 is the master of feature richness and flexibility.

You'll find some Typo 3 tutorials videos here: http://typo3.org/documentation/videos/

Regards,
    Remi

Hi Availor,

Since you are using a lot of flash,you might be interesting in this
    http://www.flashcontentmanager.com/

Using in dynamic flash websites

Gr,Hans

Thanks haakoo, that seems to be a really unique feature.

Manny, I heard of contribute but I've never used it. If you have dreamweaver the ftp and synchronisation are already built in so there's no need of using any other software.

I have use "Contribute & Co- Author" and I found that contribute was the easiest to use, Co-Author came free with GoLive ver.6 and above. Thought contribute was overpriced in the UK as most of my clients stated that £70 was too much and I could do 3 updates for the same price. Maybe it ways the way i sold it to them.
    Design is thinking made visual.