Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Balance... model and render it

Blender!
    Will be looking forward for the finished project.
    Balance sounds like a nice challenge. I'm dreaming up of crazy pictures here....
    OK if I join in later? No promises, but it is an interesting concept. , time permitting....

lol, yea GMan, Blender... we are sticking to a Linux only box...

I look forward to your entry Gman... with this topic, and knowing you, it should be very very interesting...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	balanced.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	37841  

that's an awesome entry Mike, very good imagination

Quote Originally Posted by gidgit View Post
    When we finish modeling everything we will render in Blender
    why, Blender?

why not one of the lil standalones like PoseRay or a Renderman Variant dedicated renderer?

I am just getting started in 3D (for modeling images to be used in 2D imaging) and I have LOTS of these annoying newbie questions.

I can understand switching to Blender for complex or detailed surfacing beyond the limits or Wings, but do you use Blender to simply render your objects?

geo.

Hi GeoBen

Why Blender?... well, the simple answer is that I am more used to having a full interface to work from, as in apposed to using render plugins from within say Wings3D...

When on Windows, I prefered to use Carrara Studio for shading, scene comp, and or rendering... it handles higher poly numbers more efficiently than all of other big apps I have tried out, and is really easy to set up lighting for scenes with... and it renders very nice. I also enjoyed playing with C4D.

Blender is one nut that we are determined to crack, and the more times we open it, the more familiar we become with it
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's something to help "Balance the Books"

Name:	abacus.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	37927  
    Last edited by gidgit; 14 May 2007 at 07:17 AM.

understood, thanks.

i expect to be using 3D software only to model (for 2D) and so Wings will likely suffice for now. I d/l Blender, but it is a bear to work with and with all its power, a real hog on my machine, so I expect I will not use it a lot. For rendering and bitmap export, I will use PoseRay or Daz Studio. I can premodel my work in Xara, export to ai and import to Wings. I hope that this will speed things up a bit.

I hope you don't mind if I pick your brains as I learn. I am gonna have to pick this up pretty quickly.

thanks,
    geo.

Don't mind at all... and there are many other members here who have lot's of experience in all sorts of 3D related areas, from poly modeling to spline, subd to nurbs... as well there are some very good texture artist's So your questions are sure to be answered... and probably further explored

Between the two, wings3D is da hog... erlang sucks the system dry when working high poly counts within Wings, that's another reason to do scene comp within another app...

My current box is running at 1.8 ghz, 512 ram, and with linux, and I have noticed that we can put up more poly's with linux 200,000 + than when on windows (starts to hang at aroun 120,000.... but either way, for the most part things very seldom go beyond 50,000 poly's and then the objects are exported to scene within another app...

happy 3ding

Quote Originally Posted by gidgit View Post
    here are a few objects to be included into a model for this balance scene...

Can you guess what the model is?
    Are they rungs from a rope ladder, with the ropes not shown?

Sorry for the absence, work is tipping the balance in my schedule.
    Here's one from me, not THE idea I was thinking of, but something simple to serve as a warm-up exercise. Wings for the basic modeling and Blender for fine tuning the mesh and rendering.
    Ever tried doing something like this with real nails? I did, but all the nails I could find were bent and of various sizes, so no luck here...

Name:	balancingnails_wings.gif 
Views:	135 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	37968   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	balancing_nails.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	37969