Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Che Guevara effect

Hi Mr. Bramhill,

Please forgive my dense moment.

I can copy your steps with the cat, but somewhere in the transition from cat to Elvis I lose the flow.
    Could you possibly continue the method using just the cat image?

Something in the following is not apparent to me?
    "Do the same with the other colour, but remove the background rectangle shape.
    Now you can select all of one colour, Arrange / Add Shapes. Repeat for the other colour.

Select All / Arrange Subtract shapes. You now end up with a great single coloured vector shape.
    "

Why do I want to select all of one color and add shapes (what shapes?) if I've already selected them? Wouldn't I be adding the other color? If so where did it come from? And if I deleted the rectangle was something supposed to be left behind? Is that what's being added?

Too many questions.

Thank-you very much.

mg

Hi Paul,

After the trace, just Ctrl-click on the background rectangle of the trace and press delete to remove it.
    If you just ungroup and delete the rear rectangle, you are assuming that this is the only shape of that colour. in the attachment below I have selected the rear rectangle and coloured it green. You can see that there are other black shapes remaining (53 here). So if you do a select all Arrange / Add shapes, you're losing these shapes.

MGARCHITECT I'll try to answer your questions when I get a moment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	!1.gif 
Views:	503 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	37574  
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 01 May 2007 at 03:20 AM.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by gnurf View Post
    Sorry Egg, I don't really follow all your steps with named colors etc. After the trace, just Ctrl-click on the background rectangle of the trace and press delete to remove it. Then Join shapes with Ctrl-J and then you are free to apply any color including named ones. All the exporting sound a bit too much to do for a lazy soul as myself.
    For the lazy soul lurking in us all
    -----------------------------------------
    Another really easy method using IrfanView

1) Open image
    2) Resize if necessary. Ctrl+R
    3) Crop if necessary [draw rectangle, adjust lines with mouse Ctrl+Y to accept)
    3) Enhance colours. Shift+G
    values I used:
    contrast: full positive
    gamma correction: full positive
    saturation: full negative (-255)
    brightness: 47-50
    press OK
    4) Image --> Decrease colour depth --> 2 colours (no dithering)
    5) Image --> Effects --> blur

The last step smoothes the jaggies, but if you want a coloured bg, you will be better off omitting the last step until you have the bg in place.

Name:	chesledger.png 
Views:	495 
Size:	13.4 KB 
ID:	37577  

Egg, I wrote "join shapes" not "add shapes", which should work in the same manner as you have described - only quicker and easier
    Last edited by gnurf; 01 May 2007 at 12:11 PM. Reason: typo
    Paul the Gnurfmeister!
    Home: http://www.gnurf.net/v3/ | My stuff for sale: http://www.zazzle.com/gnurf* | Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/pasoderholm

This was done with live FX
    free effects by XERO
    1-Abstractor
    2-Porcelain

Gr,Hans

Name:	hands.jpg 
Views:	458 
Size:	126.6 KB 
ID:	37590  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Paul,

Egg, I wrote "join shapes" not "add shapes", which should work in the same manner as you have described - only quicker and easier
    Sorry, I missed this post and your Join Shapes advice. It works great. Cheers.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thumbs up Re: Che Guevara effect

Thanks guys,

My elder son has been on my back to do the same for a while, now my younger son wants the Elvis look, back to the drawing board

Name:	ro.jpg 
Views:	466 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	37689  

Looks great. And if you place the text and image behind the scratches the black areas will also look worn and torn.
    Paul the Gnurfmeister!
    Home: http://www.gnurf.net/v3/ | My stuff for sale: http://www.zazzle.com/gnurf* | Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/pasoderholm

I read this thread a while ago and just tried your trick, Hans. Wow. I had that plug in installed, but never got around... Thanks!

First of all, the photo should have a highlights and strong shadows. A washed out photo won't work.

In this photo of my long suffering wife holding our long suffering cat, I reduced the Color/Saturation setting in Xara Picture Editor to -100 (you have to key this in the text entry box).

Then in the Levels dialog (Xara Picture Editor), I moved the three triangles under the image very close together to reduce the number of colors.

Then I played around with the Brightness and Contrast settings in order to keep some of the hair and the lace curtain.

The color was a solid red orange rectangle added on top of the modified photo with Flat, 0%, Stained Glass transparency applied.

Welcome to the Xtreme Conference, by the way.

Gary

Name:	poster-mary.jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	103.7 KB 
ID:	42864