Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Latest news

Default Re: Latest news

PS, if there is a link to the English version of that PDF I'd really love a link!

Thanks much!!
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

I'm not surprised by this move at all.

The best chance for Xara to expand it's user base is to be more useful and welcoming to those who need more bitmap tools. After all, bitmaps make up the vast majority of CG graphics, by far.

I have to be honest though, and say that I see this as something of a backward step, or at best a short term stop-gap.

This will make Xtreme more of a 'hybrid' Vector/bitmap program, which seems to be the direction other vector programs are moving in. Integration of the two programs will be the key, otherwise we might as well keep using Xtreme as is and the bitmap editors we already use.

It seems to me that, eventually, vector graphics will rule and the vector software that can integrate or, even better, emulate the 'killer' bitmap tools and functions best, thereby attracting more bitmap oriented artists, will be the one that comes out on top.

Xtremes speed and ease of use already puts it way out in front to compete with and take custom from bitmap or paint programs. It makes far more sense to me, to steal a march on other programs and simply include tools or tool options that are bitmap artist 'friendly'.

My apologies to regulars, I do bang on about this particular subject a lot, it's a favourite hobby horse of mine. LOL!

I'm with "Millertime" on this one.
    Members here at Talkgraphics have been asking for improvements to Pro for months now and it seems that there will be a (few?) in the new version.
    But to benefit from them we are expected to also buy Photo Editting software as part of the package
    Why can't Xara/Magix leave the bitmap software as an optional purchase and give us the Xtreme Pro that the majority of the existing owners wanted instead of trying to lure new customers with bloatware?
    "Not all people have an endless supply of money!)
    Like many users, I love Pro for it's vector capabilities and have really been looking forward to the upgrades but this news (as we have understood it so far?) is a dissapointment.
    Xtreme is a "Vector Drawing" software package without par
    To me it seems that the focus is totally on sales volume rather than vector improvements and the downhill slide has begun for the best vector drawing software to date
    Hopefully when the new version is fully unveiled there will be be a substantially longer list of vector upgrades?

okay I gave the magix a quick whirl.

Yes it seems stable and pleasant enough - but does it add anything I haven't already got? Don't think so - unlike inkscape [here I go again ] which does vector fills and its free.

I wouldn't upgrade for the magix, but I have other programs, and in any case use xtremepro not xtreme.
    It will be good value I reckon for those starting out- and markmywods is right, I'm sure, not to be suprised, they are going for specific market I reckon. Must not forget it is xtreme in question here not xtremepro - that has yet to come.

It will be interesting to see what the xtremepro version includes when it arrives - from what I gather from the outsider text quoted by behzad, perhaps not a lot.
    And if so Hans has a point, but as Bill says no-one is making anyone upgrade against their will.

Just seen Kiwi's post as I wrap this up - yes volume sales in the xtreme package - but hopefully not in the xtremepro - the idea was to keep them separate - we shall have to wait and see.

Some may vote with their feet I suppose, especially if it bloats, that would take away the edge sure.

Perhaps one could donate to ink.... ok, forget I said that

Edit - re-reading the outsider it does sorta imply both xtreme and xtremepro are to go along similar lines - depressing
    Last edited by handrawn; 27 April 2007 at 10:37 PM.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Cool replies , Thanks everyone. Anyone up for some carrot juice?

After giving MAGIX Photo Clinic a whirl, I find I prefer XPE because it has the tools I use.

Photo Clinic is similar to all other bitmap editors and will be just another version that will remain unused on my computer (unless it can be uninstalled seperately).
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Talking Re: Latest news

Opps, I am so crazy I forgot what I wanted to say. Well here is my 2 cents (carrots). I guess everyone is free to say what they wish.

I own Hexagon and Carrara, I bought it when Eovia was making it. Support was good and I got constant updates. Now it is bought over by DAZ and they are trying after many complaints and a long time overdue to come up with bug fixes and new updates. Still everyone is waiting and nothing to test and write reviews about yet.

My point is that I am afraid that Magix is trying to get xrara customers to purchase their products that have been inactive in the past. I think xara users are very specific audience and they only care for what xara does best.

Most if not all xara users already have access to bitmap programs, many that are free, so their interest is not there.

I hope Magix tailer's to the xara audience rather than trying to implement their code into what already is an amazing program.

At your service: Crazy Wabbit

I for one am glad to see Magix hard at work. I forsee great things coming from this company

behzad: precisely. couldnt have put it better myself.

there are a thousand "photo editors" ( "foto editors..." ) out there. we do not need another. and there are a thousand bloatwares out there as well. it is my fervent hope that the mediocrity of consumerism-- of lowest common denominator-- will not blunt Xara's sharp edge.

i dont need another roxio or (now) nero bloatware, with 1769 functions, that starts to takes cd's to install and load.

i need, like has been said before, clean, fast, fast, fast, and also fast intuative functions. smart, edgy, nimble, quick, sophisticated. not spell-it-out-for-the-consumer blandware, where there are wizards on top of wizrds, followed by large nested dialog boxes with all kinds of worlds of controls and tabs for every bloody thing you need to do.

if i wanted that, i would just mortage my house and get PS CS3...

still praying here that charles is in charge, not some populist market-expander...

famous last words-- will operate as a seperate subsidiary.... ( or in other cases, a marriage of equals..) look at daimler and chrysler, and what happened....

just like ronald reagan said "trust, but verify"...

not distrusting, just been burnt by software before and hoping xara will have everlasting life...

:-)

yes you're wright on that one wabbit
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...