Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation DALs Embellishment Tutorial - Large Image

Thank you again to all those that took the time to comment on my Corner Embellishment. For those that asked here is a basic tutorial on how it was done. I did not include info on color changes with named colors because that is mentioned in Xara and on the forum in many places already. Further questions and comments are welcome. Sorry it's picture format but I don't have video capabilities. I hope this is helpful.
    DAL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DALsEmbellishmentTutorial.png 
Views:	1667 
Size:	211.7 KB 
ID:	37475  

Default Re: DALs Embellishment Tutorial - Large Image

Good tut - thanks Dal. I love drawing acanthus leaves but had never thought of using them like this.

Nicely done, the finished item looks very good indeed.

This is just the kind of operation that would benefit from a floodfill tool.

DAL thanks for the tutorial. Very well thought out approach.

Mark I'm not sure I follow you about use of floodfill. How would that be more useful than the existing fill methods?
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Sorry to go off topic Dal, I'm not trying to hijack your thread, perhaps we should take this discussion to the 'live paint' thread?

Soquili, a floodfill would select and fill the areas within the lines with a single click for each, creating vector shapes automatically. Whereas now we have to retrace the lines, to create the objects/shapes.

Of course there may be a need for some smoothing (removal of unwanted points etc.), but still it would be far simpler than now.

I know there are many who take a 'zen' approach to these things and are not that bothered about speed or even repition, but many freelancers, like me, build their workflow around minimising unneccessary work.

Imagine several comic pages of blackline artwork which need colouring and you can see such a tool would save a huge amount of time.

Even for working on individual illustrations, how much easier would it be to only create a line drawing and then floodfill the spaces? I routinely have to deal with illustrations that have hundreds of such coloured spaces.

I understand that Xtreme is primarily seen as a designers tool and don't in any way want to turn it into 'bloatware' or a clunky 'hybrid' Vector/bitmap program.

You can blame it's wonderful interface and ease of use, attached to the advantages of vector art, for attracting the attention of cartoonists and illustrators used to using bitmap programs.

DAL sorry to interrupt your thread.

Mark I sent you a PM with some questions about flood fill and how it can be used. Thanks for you taking time to explain things.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Thumbs up Re: DALs Embellishment Tutorial - Large Image

Outstanding!

Gary

Dal

great tut thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MarkMyWords View Post
    Imagine several comic pages of blackline artwork which need colouring and you can see such a tool would save a huge amount of time.
    As a cartoonist too, I agree 100% - this is what I do, day in day out. Xara's interface made me love it, but inkscape is going in my direction......
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Good work, DAL...

i guarantee you, I am gonna USE this technique. A gold leaf decorative border on a mirror?

yep. it is gonna look bitchen!

geo.

btw, i know some folks here have used Wink for video tutes. I have playd with it, but not really used it yet and so will withhold review except to say that it is worth considering.
    Last edited by GeoBen; 26 April 2007 at 11:36 PM.

My thanks to everyone. I'm glad you find it easy to understand and helpful. I only used a section of the full work for the tutorial. The full pic thread is here (link). Thanks to kwasiada for asking for the tutorial. It was interesting trying to make one up.

Please no worry about hijacking. I'm glad if it inspired discussion. That's the point of a good forum.

Now I want to see all your work when you try this technique so please do share yours.