Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Text Height

Default Text Height

When I type in text and it says that it is 4" it measures 72% less.

Does anyone know why?

Pam
    IP

Default Re: Text Height

Depending upon your version of DRAW, there used to be a true height and width measurement for text. Now if you want to work with this (which is handy to see) you need to turn on another tool bar called the Transform Toolbar. I have this turned on everytime I work, you too can turn it on by going to Tools/Options/Customization/Command Bars and turn on the Transform Toolbar. When you set text the number "4" is 4 points as type is measured in points, not height and width. But once you set some text the Transform toolbar will give you the true height and width. Once you do any customizing, if you want your customizations to be default, then tell DRAW to "Save Settings as Default" under "Document" when you are in the Options Menu. That way you will have all the toolbars you are using visible each time you launch DRAW. It is adviseable to additionally to save your workspace, and do so not in your DRAW program folder but somewhere in a backup drive or your documents, make a folder for "My Workspace". If you do work in DRAW on several computers, you can import your own customized workspace and you will work more efficiently. If your customized workspace requires additional scripts to work, these you must also install in C:\Programs\Corel\Corel Graphics Suite X3\DRAW\GMS. Or whatever version you are using, from version 10 and up the extension for scripts is ".gms" and some scripts are specific for which versions they will work. Before version 10, 9 and down, the extension for scripts is "csc". If you are interested in learning more on scripts or macros, I recommend visiting the oberonplace.com forum.

Back to your question. if you cannot find the transform toolbar, you can also draw a box the true height and width you are after, or draw guidelines and stretch your text by hand to fill that area.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

Thank you so much!!

Pam
    IP

I'm finding that this works, but does not scale it to exact inch measurements. Are you saying that Corel is basically in points and you can't change the default to inches?
    IP

Fonts are measured in points, as far as I know, this is standard in all programs. And points vary in height, all 18 pt text is not identical height in all fonts.

You can change DRAW to measure with your ruler to points, why one would want to, I don't know. There is no way I know of to set the unit of measure for type to inches. If you want type a certain height and width, use the transform palette.

You can also create a rectangle the exact height and width of the text you want the text to be and then make the text fit in the custom envelope, it is exactly the right height and width. There are invisible guides in fonts and this may interfere with the font being set exactly to a measurement you want unless you change it first to curves.

Pam, in what program is type set to inches or any other method than points or perhaps picas?
    Last edited by sallybode; 20 April 2007 at 02:48 AM.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode
    IP