Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Crash then Lost file

Hi

I was working on an Xara file, it suddenly gave an error and crashed.

Then, then I tried to open it again, it doesn't open, giving the following error message.

When I look at the file properties, it is only a few bytes big, so it looks as if the file has been wiped!!!

Is there any way I can get my work back?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	error.png 
Views:	231 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	37395  

Default Re: Crash then Lost file

If you post the file up here someone may be able to open it, but if it is really only a few bytes in size, the chances are remote, sorry.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

You're working with a very old version: Xara X, released in the year 2000!

In 2004 was Xara X1 released, in 2005 Xara Xtreme and in November 2006 the last version: Xara Xtreme Pro.

The reason for this were some new functions but also some bug fixes. Therefore I would recommend to update and don't use software from 2000.

Regards,
    Remi

Question Re: Crash then Lost file

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    If you post the file up here someone may be able to open it, but if it is really only a few bytes in size, the chances are remote, sorry.
    Wasn't there a 'recovery' program posted somewhere that could be tried?
    (thought I saw mention of one somewhere) Tom
    Tom - Hwy101

Hi

I know it is an old version, but the new versions do not have that many features that I need, so I don't want to buy an upgrade yet.

Anyway, it doesn't matter, because fortunately I was able to redo what I had quickly, because I hadn't done too much.

Thanks for the help though.

Glad to hear you didn't lose too much work in the crash!

As has been mentioned, there is a program provided by Xara called ExpandXar that can retreive the contents of possibly damaged files. You can get it at: http://support.xara.com/index.php?_m...mid=10&nav=0,1

However, it's a command line program, so you need to know how to use your computer's command line prompt in order to work it. Additionally it works by opening up the file and writing as much of it as it can to a new file, stopping at the point where the file has become corrupted and unreadable. So you don't get 100% of your image back, but hopefully a decent portion.

If the file you ended up with was only a few bytes long, then of course the file was probably too damaged for it to recover anything at all anyways. For those times when the file just refuses to open, it can work wonders though.
    This signature would be seven words long if it was six words shorter.

Thank you for letting me know about this utility, Odat. I will keep it in mind in case it ever happens in the future! (God willing, it wont!!)

In this case though, the file was actually completely wiped, leaving only this which I could see using a text editor:

XARA££
     ) CXN Xara X 3.0 0.2572 (MarkG)
    Some guys name in there... MarkG!

Mark Goodall. That is a name from the past. I think he has been gone from Xara Ltd for nearly 5 years.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update