Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: crisp text?

As a webdesigner I like XaraX a lot, but I thing I miss is the possibility to set text to crisp, so not anti-aliased. This feature is especially handy when making dummy html-layoutpages, you can then exactly show what a html-page will look like.

I hoped X1 would have that feature, but I haven't found it, or am I mistaking?

As a webdesigner I like XaraX a lot, but I thing I miss is the possibility to set text to crisp, so not anti-aliased. This feature is especially handy when making dummy html-layoutpages, you can then exactly show what a html-page will look like.

I hoped X1 would have that feature, but I haven't found it, or am I mistaking?

I think you should set quality of your screen in Xara to "Normal"

Go Window - Quality - Normal
    Lead designer,
    MichelMour LLC

I know this option, it indeed gets the picture rid of the anti-aliasing. But in webdesign crisp text is mainly used for small fontsizes (8-10pt) and that small text really looks ugly in "normal" Quality mode. And besides that, I only want the text to be crisp, not the entire image.

It's really not that new: Fireworks or Photoshop already have these possibilities for ages.

Igor,

I know how you feel, having grown quite fond of using Xara X or my web page designs.

What I do is go into Photoshop, create blocks of text how I want in aliased text, then copy and paste them into Xara X.

Not simple, granted, but it's what I do.
    I'd start a revolution, if I could get up in the morning.

it's about the same as I do, but then the other way around. I finish my layout in Xara, working with anti-aliased text for the time being, and then export it without the text.

Afterwards I finish the image in Photoshop with the aliased text.

That's workable, but it's one of the reasons why I can't convince my colleagues to use Xara. So maybe I should make it a feature-request?

It's already been requested Igor... by myself and someone else inside Xara actually. So it is known about, but obviously as with all updates, it's about the priorities that the technical team set. So the Xara X user in me would love it, but I understand the limitations. But Charles does read the posts in this forum, so will hopefully take your comments on board as a user too.
    I'd start a revolution, if I could get up in the morning.

I am not sure if this would solve the problem, but a lot of people use bitmap fonts for very small text.

I did a Google search for Bitmap Fonts for theWeb. One of the first matches is for Atomic Media and they have bitmap fonts.

Here is another link Bitmap for a large variety of bitmap fonts.

Gary