Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default PSD file contains unsupported text layers

Trying to import some PSDs into Xtreme Pro, I get some errors that the "PSD file contains unsupported text layers" and they'll be converted to raster ones.

Curious as to what'd cause this, does anyone know?

I was previously quite spoilt, obviously being in contact with a very Xara-orientated world. But I'm now faced with the import and export issues that I heard about "out there". Today I've dealt with not being able to import EPS, meta files and now PSD files (at least properly).
    I'd start a revolution, if I could get up in the morning.

Default Re: PSD file contains unsupported text layers

It could be a problem with faux bold or italic on the font. Did you create the PSD yourself?

Christine

Hi Antony,

I get the same error importing a PSD file created by Photoshop 7 or CS that contains text.

However, if I create a similar image in Paint Shop Pro version 8 and save it as a PSD file it imports into Xtreme Pro no error message of any type and the text is still editable.
    Last edited by Soquili; 12 April 2007 at 11:42 PM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

There are two different types of text layer that you can create in Photoshop but the PSD filter currently only supports one of them. I can't remember how you create the different types and I don't have Photoshope on my machine at the moment so I can't check but this should point you in the right direction.

Gerry

Okay, thanks. Two different types of text layer... there's probably some reason in crazy Adobe land.

I don't have Photoshop either, hence I'm trying to open them in Pro.
    I'd start a revolution, if I could get up in the morning.

I guess there will always be problems when opening files created in other programs, especially if they use special proprietary techniques.

I'm always bumping with "PSD file contains unsupported layer effects, skipping"...

I have Xara, and PSP, but I really dislike Photoshop. I dream that someday I can do everything through Xara.

I've just ordered Xara 3.2.2 (not the Pro version) and have to admit I am somewhat disappointed because of its inability to properly import .PSD files. I've got both the error messages mentioned in this thread, except that for some reason they are in German (my Xara is definitely an English version).

At http://www.xara.com/products/xtreme/...ture=59#scroll there is a "Full support for importing and exporting Photoshop® PSD files..." mentioned. Well, I'd say there is some support. And the .EPS support, although seems to be a little bit better than the last time I tested it (I tried it in the PRO version, I suppose .EPS importing was added to the standard version recently) is too far from being ideal.

Now don't take me wrong - for $79 or $89 Xara is a great deal but the file import part is...poor...very poor. Perhaps this is the direction the Xara developers should focus on more in future versions?

Is there any workaround to solve the .PSD importing problem? Like ask someone to open it in Photoshop and export in a more compatible format (but which one...) from there? I don't have Photoshop, just an old version of Paint Shop Pro 7 which doesn't open it at all.

Tomas
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xara_psd_error1.png 
Views:	283 
Size:	1.9 KB 
ID:	40153   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xara_psd_error2.png 
Views:	278 
Size:	2.2 KB 
ID:	40154  

Please remember that Xtreme only supports I think 8 bit PSD files at it is only XPro that supports layered, alpha channel and 16 bit coloured files.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Xara can also have problems with PDFs created by color copiers.

Quote Originally Posted by tomfra View Post
    Is there any workaround to solve the .PSD importing problem? Like ask someone to open it in Photoshop and export in a more compatible format (but which one...) from there? I don't have Photoshop, just an old version of Paint Shop Pro 7 which doesn't open it at all.

Tomas
    Hi Tomas,

Please can you confirm if you are running with a German locale? Please attach the file you are having difficulties with and we will investigate the problem.

Others on this thread are also welcome to attach PSD problem files for us to look at.