Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Talking My Sony Camera review

To follow-up on my very successful review of the Apple iPhone on my blog, I today I wrote a "review" on the soon to be released new super-zoom compact by Sony: the DSC-H9. It's actually something I have been looking at for a while, which is why the techie stuff is correct... Did improvise a bit with the real-life benefits of said features.

Perhaps a bit depraved, but also slightly amusing?

Sony DSC-H9 camera review

April 7th, 2007

Best features of the upcoming Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H9 super-zoom compact camera.

Nothing sucks about this digital camera! The words “great” or “amazing” doesn’t do the H9 justice — “otherworldly” is probably the most accurate definition. Read on:

1. With almost the same picture quality as a digital SLR, but with the benefit that the Sony DSC-H9 can easily be hidden under your jacket, or towel, at the public pool, will make this camera a winner.

2. The 15x optical Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar 31-465mm (35mm equiv) zoom lens ensures that you are able to optically “sneak in on people”, instead of being too obvious with your privacy intrusions and ending up pummeled by an overprotective boyfriend or husband.

3. Super Steady Shot® optical image stabilization will make sure that your nervously shaking and sweaty hands will not interfere with picture quality, when that once in a lifetime shot opportunity presents itself (hopefully with that one special female you have been stalking for months).

4. The 8 MP (Mega Pixel) sensor will generate huge files that can be cropped for those seemingly perfect shot(s) for your website. Or you can use the whole file with all its incredible detail, to print photographs to satisfy even the most discerning pervert.

5. It also features an impressive top of the line 3-inch, bright, back LSD display that swivels to any angle! No longer do you need to be obvious in public when getting that special shot that can only be had from that one (unnatural) angle, and body position.

6. This camera will be the only one in this year’s Cyber-shot lineup to feature Sony’s NightShot® technology, which enables you to take photographs in environments with virtually no light and without using a flash! This feature should open up all kinds of possibilities for the “Tricky Dicky” shooter.

7. The Sony DSC-H9 features Sony’s high-end Bionz™ processing engine, which enables you to burst-shoot at more than 2.2 fps (frames per second) — indefinitely — and at any resolution! Only your camera’s memory card is the limitation for how many pictures can be captured this way. You can easily shoot hundreds of pictures before people realize what you are upto…

8. The top of the line 8 GB DUO PRO™ Media stick comes with enough storage space to keep you shooting until the cows come home (or until you wife goes to see her mother-in-law for the weekend). This optional DUO PRO™ Media will also enable to shoot MPEG VX Fine with Audio (640×480 at 30fps) movies, for those times when sporting a camcorder could result in a deadly beating (or getting you arrested).

9. The Sony DSC-H9 automatically measures auto-focus precision at 9 points on your screen. With the incorporated face recognition technology you will be able to get that perfect shot when drunk or stoned out of your mind (or when shooting from the hip when you are scared for your life).

All this goodness, and also high shutter speed (1/4000 sec.) combined with intelligent continuous AF that responds more quickly to rapid motion. Essentially: if you see it... the Sony H9 camera will capture it... and more so!

10. Battery life: A fully charged NP-BG1 Lithium Ion battery should last for around 250 shots of mixed shooting. As with all digital cameras, a spare battery will ensure that you don't have to cry yourself to sleep at night when those one-in-a-million public fornication shots were there for the taking, and you were out of juice.

With an estimated list price of only $480 for all of this goodness, and what thrifty shoppers will be able to get it for online… I predict it to be the winner and Camera of The Year 2007!

Sony DSC-H9 camera rating: 5 out of 5 Scuds.

Risto
    Last edited by RTK; 07 April 2007 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Some typos

Default Re: My Sony Camera review

Wow, looks very tempting. I might go take a look at one in the stores.

BTW, your other comment blog lists are hilarious!

Share a pic with us

Careful Risto

Someone made headlines getting arrested for voyerism recently
    Better watch what flowers your taking pics of!

jamesmc: Wow, looks very tempting. I might go take a look at one in the stores.

BTW, your other comment blog lists are hilarious!
    Thanks James, I have a lot of fun with it. It's not always great or even good, but it's all "winged". On occasion, I get lucky...

Crypto: Share a pic with us.
    Crypto, as I said in my introduction: "It's soon to be released". You should also take my "review" with, not a pinch, but a tablespoon of salt. I'm hoping it will be an ok review - and for the real one, I will personally look for it at Steve's.

aridzone: Careful Risto

Someone made headlines getting arrested for voyerism recently
    Better watch what flowers your taking pics of!
    I'll be carefull... But really, it was a review of possibilities, not what I'm into...

Thanks for looking!

Risto

Quote Originally Posted by Risto Klint View Post

With an estimated list price of only $480 for all of this goodness, and what thrifty shoppers will be able to get it for online… I predict it to be the winner and Camera of The Year 2007!

Sony DSC-H9 camera rating: 5 out of 5 Scuds.

Risto

Man, I feel so overcharged for my DSC-P1(about 1100 dollar a couple of years back) when you see what you get for your money nowadays.
    be aware, not to become a ware.

These Sony pocket cams are truly awesome. I've always been a Nikon man (since the early 1960's when I was working as a newspaper reporter / photographer.) I still use Nikons for my "serious" work, having just recently made the switch to digital. I use a D-200 (10.2 MP) with a D-70 for backup.

However, I won a Sony DSC-7 as a door prize at a conference a few years ago, and find myself using it a LOT. I carry it in my pocket virtually all the time, and have it ready for anything that catches my eye.

Shooting with the Nikons is a PROJECT. My camera bag is heavy enough that I practically need an assistant

So I really find the Sony a really convenient tool, and even though mine is "only" 5.1 MP, it still takes great pictures for all practical purposes, and I've gotten quite good 8 x 10 prints from it.

I'm sure that those using the new DSC-9 will be thrilled with their results.
    ---
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by ankhor
    Man, I feel so overcharged for my DSC-P1(about 1100 dollar a couple of years back) when you see what you get for your money nowadays.
    I know, it's sad... You get a lot even when only comparing to last year in terms of features, quality and memory etc. I see it stabilizing soon though in terms of Mega Pixels and "bling" things. The average point-and-shooter doesn't need 12 MPs (or what have you)... You can get away with much less when printing a 6 by 4 or a 5 by 7, or the occasional 8 by 10. They should instead concentrate on getting SLR-sized sensors into the point-and-shooters to improve noise at higher ISOs, as well as battery life.

I have bought one digital camera in my life: Canon Powershot S30 a couple of years ago (3MP)... And of all the gadgets I have spent my money on in my life - this one is hands-down the worst buy ever. ~ $700 CAD for a camera that is so slow to focus and ready for the next shot that it would have been quicker to sketch the subject matter by hand. In-doors - half the shots are out of focus...

You know the gadget is bad, when the wife orders you to go out an get a new one!

I won't even torture my kids with the S30 - it has an appointment with my Sledgehammer come end of April/May.

Quote Originally Posted by WolfMoonHP
    These Sony pocket cams are truly awesome.
    I think that in a few years people won't even bother to read reviews - buy any kind of point-and-shoot camera and they will do the "trick". People will be concentrating on comfort/ease of use/zoom/size and looks eventually.

Personally, I have no preference in terms of brand names - whatever works. Digital cameras are still a bit of "use and toss"... I don't think I will ever cry over a digital camera the way my older brother cried when his trusted and beloved Leica M4 bit the dust...

Risto
    Last edited by RTK; 08 April 2007 at 05:41 PM.

Hi Risto

I enjoy your humor

You didn't mention if saving in RAW format was an option.

Quote Originally Posted by aridzone View Post
    Hi Risto

I enjoy your humor

You didn't mention if saving in RAW format was an option.
    "Humor" = "Crazyness"? Ok, I'll take it!

No idea about RAW, but I would that Sony saw/read the brutal slaughter of the Canon G7 for dropping the RAW format, so I doubt they will repeat that horrible and costly mistake.

Risto