Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default "Runtime Error!" message

I'm pleading for help to the forum users because Xara support has failed to respond.

On or about March 15th I got a message when trying to start Xara Extreme:

"Microsoft Visual C++Runtime Library"
    "Runtime Error!"
    "Program: C:\program Files\Xara\Xara Xtreme\Xtreme.exe"
    "This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information."

I click "OK", Xtreme closes.

I've been using Xtreme/X1 for more than two years...no problems. Recently (same day as the first message appeared, in fact) I switched online service to a wireless broadband from dial-up. I use a Linksys Wireless-N USB Network Adapter to access the WiFi hot spot. I have un-installed and re-installed Xtreme multiple times. It seems to work for a while, but I again will get the error.

I am PLEADING for help because I use Xtreme EVERY DAY professionally. This is a HUGE problem for me. Xara's lack of response or support is disappointing.

Thanks in advance.
    Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ScreenShot.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	36906  

Default Re: "Runtime Error!" message

Quite a few threads on this topic I'm afraid if you do a search
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...=runtime+error
    might be a start?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Mike:
    This isn't an easy one.
    I can give you several things to check and try.
    The only real clue you gave us was a change in connection venues. And the fact that you are using Microsoft Windows.
    Are you using a Nat or firewall on this computer and is it on?
    Do you run regular checks for spyware and viruses on your computer and is your antivirus and spyware software updated?
    What Windows OS are you running and how long since you updated it and since the time you installed or reinstalled it?
    Are any other programs having problems?
    Some DSLs provide a Nat and or firewall either at their source and/or with the modem/router, but it usually has to be switched on. Broadband I haven't been on in a year plus and am not sure of the measures they take, currently. If you are running Windows XP, make sure that firewall is on.
    The fact is that a computer running Windows needs to have the hard disk reformatted and the operating system reinstalled every year or two, according to the experts and my own experience. Drivers and other software can deteriorate over time and need to be reinstalled.
    Broadband and DSL tend to be more open and faster than dialup and can be more vulnerable to hacking, viruses, etc. Your problem could be a piece of spyware interfering with Xtreme. Or even another legitimate piece of software not working or playing well with Xtreme. Did your Broadband provider require you to install any software on the computer to help connect?
    If you've started experiencing other program problems it could be an indication of windows .dll issues. and a need to reinstall Windows, or wait for more problems and do an Internet search on those issues.
    When you uninstall Xtreme, do you restart your computer before you reinstall the program. Will help clean out the registry (some) before you reinstall, especially if the problem is partly or totally with the registry. If you are enough of a techie to get in and check the registry and make sure the Xtreme entries are cleared out. Otherwise, "Don't try this at home".
    More complex than you hoped? I've become a closet techie through need and dealt with problems like this on my own computers and family computers.
    I may not be on the forum for a couple of days, but will check back
    by Monday.
    Good luck,
    Scott
    "I do not think that I will ever reach a stage when I will say, "This is what I believe. Finished." What I believe is alive... and open to growth."
    Madeleine L'Engle

Mike the only time I saw an error similar to that was after I installed a plugin. I don't recall which plugin it was, one I was testing to see if it worked in Xtreme Pro. Because the error occurred immediately after installing the plugin is the only way I figured out the problem. After uninstalling the plugin everything returned to normal.

Because the error occurs when starting Xtreme look at all the things the program checks as it boots. Plugins, fonts, templates, galleries, etc. Very possibly something is amiss among one or more of those areas.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

try a system restore

Thanks for the responses so far.

1. OS: Win XP Home
    2. I check for viruses and adware frequently.
    3. Same virus software and firewall used for very longtime.
    4. There was no additional software added for the broadband, except for the driver used with the Linksys connector.
    5. I attempted system restore...that did not fix the problem, and created more of a mess. Xteme's directory was mangled. All of the sub folders were split into "Folder Name" and "Folder Name (2)" and the files mixed between them with "(2)" added. I've never seen that before either.
    6. I'm aware of the reformatting every year. I'm resisting as long as possible. I built this computer myself...getting all the drivers and hardware up and running is a major task. I would sure hate to go through all that work to have the problem re-occur.

Thanks,
    Mike

Maybe you should uninstall the program and then run a registry cleaner. Then re-install. This may help.

Quote Originally Posted by graphicsfactory View Post
    3. Same virus software and firewall used for very longtime.
    4. There was no additional software added for the broadband, except for the driver used with the Linksys connector.
    5. I attempted system restore...that did not fix the problem, and created more of a mess. Xteme's directory was mangled. All of the sub folders were split into "Folder Name" and "Folder Name (2)" and the files mixed between them with "(2)" added. I've never seen that before either.
    Hi, the "folder name (2)" phenomenon is caused by system restore and is normal afaik.

Have you installed anything else on or before March 15th? If you can't remember, go to system restore and click some dates on the calendar. It should show (on the right panel) anything substantial that you've installed on those dates.

Can you block programs from accessing the internet with your firewall? If so, add Xtreme to the block list temporarily to see if that fixes the problem.

I'd also try what Crypto suggested: uninstall, then check the install folders to wipe anything left. Clear the registry keys (regedit.exe, search for Xara, or if you have other Xara products, search only for Xtreme, and delete them). Install again.

Here is a freeware programm for repairing your registry.

http://www.eusing.com/free_registry_...ry_cleaner.htm

So,if you go the way like described as here above,this may come in handy

Gr,Hans
    Last edited by haakoo; 07 April 2007 at 02:13 PM.

Hi Mike:
    Took time last night to search the Internet and do a little research.
    Everyone came up with good suggestions.
    After looking around and thinking about it, I believe you are most likely having a .dll (Dynamic Link Library) problem.
    See this page for explanations:
    http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x/dllhell.htm
    If nothing else above has helped so far, it could be one of two things:
    Coincidence-Installing the driver for your PCI adapter had nothing to do with it, you may have gotten a virus/piece of spyware that changed/corrupted/co opted a .dll file that Xara Xtreme needs, unfortunately you are not getting an error code or file name that gives us more info, otherwise you might just be able to replace the file. Or, Windows could have updated, automatically at the time and changed something, such as a different version of a necessary .dll file.
    Not Coincidence-The Linksys driver replaced (with another version)/co opted/corrupted the .dll file that Xara also needed, but the adapter is somehow still working. I'm betting on "replaced with another version of the file", that one makes the most sense to me. In this case you could try downloading and burning the driver for the adapter from the Linksys website, if you are getting the driver you originally installed from a cd that came with the adapter. Might be a good idea to get all the latest drivers for your computer from the manufacturers' websites and burn them to a cd, since it was difficult to get it running the first time around. If your version of Xtreme is from a cd you purchased, you can download and activate a trial copy of Xara Xtreme from xara.com. I'd burn the trial copy to disk before I'd install and activate. Then go to "My Computer", "Properties" and I think it's the hardware manager tab, locate your Linksys Wireless Network Adapter and uninstall/remove it from the list. Then restart the computer. Uninstall Xara Xtreme and if you know enough to get into the registry yourself and delete the Xara Xtreme entries. Then restart the computer. Then install Xara Xtreme from the disk and activate it (if you can do that while the computer is off line), restarting the computer if it tells you to. Try opening it and running, changing and saving any simple project. Then restart the computer. Try opening and working with Xtreme again. Then close the program. Put your driver(s) disk in and reinstall your Linksys driver, going back into the device manager to reselect your adapter. Basically whatever you had to do the first time to install it. Once it's installed, you guessed it, restart the computer. After you restart make are sure you are able to access the Internet. Then start Xtreme and make sure that's functioning. Let us know if things are working again.
    Now if that doesn't work, it sounded like you had trouble when you originally put this computer together, getting the hardware and drivers to work together well and aren't looking forward to going through that, again. If Xtreme means as much to you as to me, you may want to consider reformatting and reinstalling, if it isn't a .dll file problem, but something else, this would wipe the slate clean. It would clear a lot of clutter, corruption and slowing that inevitably occurs as an installation of Windows ages. And this may, or may not be a first symptom of things to come.
    Best of luck with this one and let us know,
    Scott
    Last edited by Shaman; 09 April 2007 at 07:00 PM.
    "I do not think that I will ever reach a stage when I will say, "This is what I believe. Finished." What I believe is alive... and open to growth."
    Madeleine L'Engle