Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Tracing an Image from Bitmap to Vector

Hey guys I appreciate any help or advice you have to offer... I am definitly going to be spending many hours on this forum.

I'm trying to practice so I know what i'm doing, I've attached a picture of cartman that i'm trying to trace so that I can cut it out into a sticker.

I've tried all the options (that I know of) as far as tracing the bitmap (line art detailed logo etc)... and they all give me an image that is... well.. crappy.

Is there something I can do to fix this problem ? or is there something different I can choose when I click to trace it?

Edit: i'm just looking to get cartman as a sticker... the trees and backround can go... I edited those out somewhere, I was busy so I guess I forgot to save it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cartman.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	36576  
    IP

Default Re: Tracing an Image from Bitmap to Vector

Hi Tintguy,

welcome to Talkgraphics. In my eyes the best way to trace a drawing is, to import this image into your drawing, create a new layer and redraw this simple forms by hand.

But there is one big problem:

Quote Originally Posted by Tintguy View Post
    Edit: i'm just looking to get cartman as a sticker...
    This would end in an copyright infringement, because you're not the copyright owner of these characters. So, don't do that.

Regards,
    Remi
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by remi View Post
    Hi Tintguy,
    This would end in an copyright infringement, because you're not the copyright owner of these characters. So, don't do that.
    You can buy sticker paper for your own printer (Don't think he intends creating comercial stickers). Although I'm not sure on the personal use rules.

As for tracing, try Vector Eye. It's great at exactly this sort of thing and there are presets for cartoon style images. The demo lets you save as .svg which can be imported into Draw.

http://www.siame.com/

Sark
    IP

Oh, dont worry about copyright infringement!

So long as you dont use it commercially, I dont think the original artist is going to see it on whatever you want to stick it on.

Remi is right though, I would import it into Corel as a JPEG, jock the layer (right click and lock image) and trace over the top with the freehand tools.

Andy
    -----------
    Andy
    IP