Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hiya everyone. I am looking for a way to create a fade onto an image.

Example: I have a square image.. and I want a "fade" to start from the left side of the image, and then ends somewhere inside the image going from solid white to transparent.

Please see the below URL for an example of what I'm talking about.

http://www.humanwerks.com/werks/fincaalicura/sub2.jpg

Look at the top right of this image at the grapes, and notice how they start out on the left side white, and slowly fades to transparent to allow the grapes to show through.

Can someone tell me step-by-step how to create this effect?

Thanks a million guys!
    IP

Hiya everyone. I am looking for a way to create a fade onto an image.

Example: I have a square image.. and I want a "fade" to start from the left side of the image, and then ends somewhere inside the image going from solid white to transparent.

Please see the below URL for an example of what I'm talking about.

http://www.humanwerks.com/werks/fincaalicura/sub2.jpg

Look at the top right of this image at the grapes, and notice how they start out on the left side white, and slowly fades to transparent to allow the grapes to show through.

Can someone tell me step-by-step how to create this effect?

Thanks a million guys!
    IP

If you're doing this in PI, you would convert the image into an object first. Open your image. Ctrl+A to select all. Ctrl+Shift+O to convert the selection to an object. Edit/Fadeout and the fadeout box will appear. Choose the horizontal arrow button going from left to right. Two color: black on the left and white on the right. Black represents transparent and white opaque. You can change the direction if you want by clicking the flip button in the middle. Click OK. You may not see anything happening on your image because the original image is still in the background. Press the enter key to deselect the object. Press the delete key to clear the background so that the object appears against a white background. You should now have a fadeout effect similar to the one you want.
    If you find that too much fadeout is applied, you can duplicate the object several times so that it becomes more visible. Pick the object and press Shift+D to duplicate it.
    When you're satisfied with the result, select all the objects and combine into a single object. Then do whatever you want to do with it.
    IP

Grafixman

can Fade an image. or an object to some specific angle. other then those preset fade directions..

i havent found it. just like we have in Corel Draw.
    IP

It can be done by using the mask mode. Select the object layer you want to apply the fade to. Click the mask icon to enter the mask mode. Deselect to turn off the selection marquee. Doing this would enable us to work with the entire canvas, not just inside the object. Apply a black to white gradient using the gradient tool with the blend option for the tool set to multiply. This way, the white portion of the gradient would not affect the object's outline, only the darker portions of the gradient would be applied. You can freely control the start and end points as well as the angle of the fade this way. Remember that black is transparent and various shades of it results in partial transparencies. You can even use the airbrush tool to paint anything with black and you'd get transparent areas on your object. Or you can try the smudge tool. Anything. Click the mask icon again to go back to normal mode and you'd have your fade effect.
    Try it. Great fun.
    IP