Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Clipview??

Default Clipview??

Hi:
    Keep seeing this term mentioned and I have searched, but no definitions so far. So what is the clipview feature? Looks like it's present in Xara LX 0.7 and I could be using it. But I really can't guess from the context it's used in with posts what it is.
    Thanks,
    Scott
    IP

Default Re: Clipview??

Draw a closed shape and draw something bigger (closed or not) on top of it. Then Select All and Arrange/Apply Clipview. Your first shape will become a window and you will see the other objects through it. You will be able to select inside objects with Ctrl + click and move or transform them without removing the Clipview.

kindly,
    ivan
    IP

ClipViews are a useful function to create a mask to show only a part of your objects in a drawing.

Here you'll find further informations about Clipviews:
    • Xara Xtreme Online Help
    • Xara Xone Workbook 35
    • Xara Xtreme Demo Movie about "Using Clipviews" (not sure, if it's viewable under Linux, because you need the Camtasia codec to decode the Video)
    • Use the search function of this forum with the searchstring "clipview" to find other threads.

Regards,
    Remi
    IP

Hi Ivan:
    Thanks, an intarsia effect is the most obvious use. Clipview looks very promising, I tend to right-click and use the context menu, missed this one completely. I see you can "Remove Clipview", also.
    I appreciate the quick response,
    Scott
    IP

Thanks Shaman.

Another advantage is that you can also use a simple line as the Clipping object if you place it in the background.

kindly,
    ivan
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by remi View Post
    ClipViews are a useful function to create a mask to show only a part of your objects in a drawing.

Here you'll find further informations about Clipviews:
    • Xara Xtreme Online Help
    • Xara Xone Workbook 35
    • Xara Xtreme Demo Movie about "Using Clipviews" (not sure, if it's viewable under Linux, because you need the Camtasia codec to decode the Video)
    • Use the search function of this forum with the searchstring "clipview" to find other threads.

Regards,
    Remi
    Hey Remi:
    Thank you! Gives me uses for Clipview. Searches are good, but after searching the forums and "Help" I wasn't getting anything I understood as far as defining the tool. Sometimes I just need to have it stated directly. Xaraxone is a great resource, which could use a search feature.
    Can't find anything under "Camtasia" in my package repository, but the Xara tutorial .avi's play well with both Aviplay and Xine Movie Player, so no problems under Linux.
    Scott
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by ivan louette View Post
    Thanks Shaman.

Another advantage is that you can also use a simple line as the Clipping object if you place it in the background.

kindly,
    ivan
    Hi Ivan:
    Good timing with that, I'd just been trying with a line and progressed as far as converting a line to a shape and applying clipview. Did not try with the line in the background, until now. Tells me how to apply a series of clipviews to get a line made up up of various colors/shapes/bitmaps. I see also you can apply a clipview to line from the foreground over the line in the background.
    Very good!
    Scott
    IP

I saw this tutorial in Adobe Illustrator when I downloaded the trial.

Here is my version in Xara Xtreme. Instead of Clipping Paths, in Xara it is called Clipview and the path part is the shape, in this case an ellipse used to "clip" the art into the bowl.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clippath.jpg 
Views:	387 
Size:	29.4 KB 
ID:	35674  
    IP

Thanks James:
    Tying this in with clipping paths makes it clearer. I was wondering if there was a connection with clipping paths. This also shows me how to place an object within an object. I'm going to save this one and use it on a couple of current projects as well as future projects! Thanks!
    By extension, drawing or placing an object with no fill around an imported photo and adjusting the (anchor?) points around it, then selecting no line width and "Applying Clipview" would clip out a portion of the photo, all without XPE available. I get it!
    Thanks again!
    Scott
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
    Thanks James:
    Tying this in with clipping paths makes it clearer. I was wondering if there was a connection with clipping paths. This also shows me how to place an object within an object. I'm going to save this one and use it on a couple of current projects as well as future projects! Thanks!
    By extension, drawing or placing an object with no fill around an imported photo and adjusting the (anchor?) points around it, then selecting no line width and "Applying Clipview" would clip out a portion of the photo, all without XPE available. I get it!
    Thanks again!
    Scott
    No problem Scott.

Forgot to add in the mini-tut, if you want shadows from the fruit add it before the clipping path and objects are grouped together for clipview. Make any adjustments to the shadow (transparency, fuzziness, etc.) and group the shadow and the object together. After all of that then do the clipview procedure.

You can also combine several shapes for the clipping path in using clipview. In the image below I made two shapes. I used the shape editor tool to draw out the top of the box and another rectangle for the top portion. I grouped both together and used that shape as a clipping path for the clipview. The boy appears to be popping out of the box.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clip box.jpg 
Views:	356 
Size:	17.2 KB 
ID:	35678  
    Last edited by jamesmc; 07 March 2007 at 05:01 AM.
    IP