Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Feather edges

Hybrid View

Hi guys....are you there " grafixman " I need your help again. I am trying to fade or feather the edge of a still image. I have created a drop shadow from an eclipse shape which has given me an excellent edge but when I power clip my image into it the image edge is to crisp/sharp it doesn't look right sat in the drop shadow you can see it ? how do you fade image edges.

Thanks for all your help

David ( Manchester, England )
    IP

Thanks grafixman...
    I think I am finally getting there bit by bit, but wouldn't you think it would be easier than this just to blur an edge...what a load of faffing around. Thanks anyway man, take care I appreciate your help

David
    IP

Hi Guys.....Blimey i'm almost sorry I asked. It is not easy is it...are you listening corel !

I will of course try all the things you are suggesting but then again I might just sneak into adobe photoshop do a feathered eclipse and export back as a bmp. I am absolutely useless with photoshop I think it is really heavy going but i'm sure it does feathering easier than this. Anyway guys, if nothing else its got you all thinking hasn't it.

Thanks for all your help you are top people

Regards

David
    IP

Hi Peter...
    Since my last post I have spoken to my systems man and he informs he deliberately didn't load photopaint on my system because I have adobe photoshop which he says knocks photopaint for six.....great !. When I explained what I was trying to do & that I was talking to guys on the corel forum he still insists I should be doing all my image editing in photoshop and export to corel.He says nothing beats adobe photoshop its the best out there.

Anyway, I have downloaded the heart shape you sent and its absolutely perfect..just what i was trying to do.......Thank you I really appreciate your help.

Regards, David
    IP

tacksie

Is photoshop better than photopaint, well maybe, but we are talking of an integrated whole here, that and the fact that despite operational differences there are very few things in most day to day bitmap operations Photoshop can do that Photopaint cannot.

There are several tricks that can only be done (or more commonly done more quickly) when both packages are working together side by side.

I'll be honest here, my Draw Suite usage is probably 90% Draw, 9% Paint and 1% Rave. There are others in the main Corel newsgroups who work the otherway around Draw as a supplemental program to Photopaint

I will be extremely vocal should Corel even think about dropping PhotoPaint.

You really should talk to your systems guy, by all means continue to use Photoshop but IMHO you are being hamstrung by not having PhotoPaint on the computer as well.

HTH

Peter
    The style challenged Pete'sCrypt
    IP

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Peter Clifton:
    You can do it only with vectors similar to graphixman's technique he posted. But I think it is more trouble than it is worth and too limited in functionality.
    QUOTE]

ouch!!! that reads back in a way I did not intend.

I meant my vector technique was more trouble than it is worth, I have used bitmap transparencies in the past as a non destructive edit.

Peter
    The style challenged Pete'sCrypt
    IP

Hi, Peter. You're right, this is easier done in Photopaint than Draw. Photopaint is a capable image editor. It's just that it seemed lots of the functions are tucked away and harder to find than contemporary apps. They're there, alright, but you have to be very familiar with the layout and workflow to implement them. It is lacking in convenience and intuitiveness.
    IP

You're right, skareta. I guess I should spend more time customizing the work area to suit my needs. I just naturally assumed that the work area is optimized in the default, but that indeed is not the case. Going to spend more time with Photopaint now...
    IP

Hi skareta.....thanks for whatever it is you have sent but I am unable to open it. It is saying cannot open as it is a new version of corel ? I don't know what version you are on but I use version 10, but thanks anyway

David
    IP

>> seemed lots of the functions are tucked away and harder to find than contemporary apps. They're there, alright, but you have to be very familiar with the layout and workflow to implement them. It is lacking in convenience and intuitiveness. etc etc

Right. The default interface could hardly be worse, the way everything is really hidden and looking ugly... but once you take a little time to sort things out and place them where you want them...

Anyway, I am just posting a workspace file (one of the few that I'm using) to show how it can be different. For anyone interested, see if this is any better than default settings.

I am sure you know how to import those settings in Tools > Options > Workspace.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Yes, it's me.
    IP