Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Putting text around an oval

I have to agree with Rookie on the difficulty issues, and I am an educator of 15 years. I watched the video by EggBram and arrghhhhh...it was so hard to follow. Although I can appreciate his efforts, his instructions were all over the place and he was clicking on things that he wasn't telling the viewer how to do. I forced myself to watch the whole thing but got very little out of it. Are there any easier 'step-by-step', as in numbered, instructions to follow in creating text that follows a curve but doesn't touch it??? I basically am looking for a

1. ***
    2. ***
    3. ***

type of instruction. Like Rookie, I already have the artwork done on my shapes and whatnot, now I have to stick in the text. And it is not as intuitive as I was lead to believe that tasks are in Xara.

here is a basic method
    Attached Files Attached Files
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

For the benefit of Rookie etc.: attached is a Xar which allows you to dissect step-by-step how to achieve this goal. It is a multi-page file (so I hope you have Pro rather than standard). Hope it helps.

I sometimes find it concerning that genuine abstract help seeking shown here is so poorly judged by people (including moderators!). Genuinely ignorant (meaning unknowledgeable) new comers are jumped on and accused of being freeby-seekers. If people ask to be given files with some abstract work done for the purpose of learning, it is perfectly acceptable! If people ask for files to be given to them after they've made requests that things be tailored for them: e.g. can you make the object blue and purple, add some stars and then give it to me; then that is freeby-mooching. It would be better for all if people (in particular those with authority) could look more carefully before passing judgment; it makes these forums very sour otherwise.

Xhris
    Last edited by Xhris; 01 July 2007 at 04:55 PM.

Handrawn & Xhris,

THANK YOU!!

Thank you for posting some simple and to the point instructions on how to do this popular task. Your instructions should be made a sticky.

Xhris or Handrawn,

If you could help, I would appreciate it. I have read and followed both of your instructions. I am still running into some problems. I have included the file. The top logo is what I am recreating, the bottom is as far as I have gotten. I am now working on the text that needs to follow the curve of the inner, centrus banner. The file will tell all. I am having problems getting it centered and having the bottom text NOT read upside down. I don't want anyone to do it for me, but I would appreciate some instructions on how to fix the problems that I am having. It is best that I learn how to fix these myself so that I know what I am doing with future projects, not to mention being able to help someone else someday.

Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by Fuerza View Post
    ...I am now working on the text that needs to follow the curve of the inner, centrus banner. The file will tell all. I am having problems getting it centered and having the bottom text NOT read upside down.

I preempted this question; I covered the process of how to get the text curving the other way on the inner side of an ellipse on page 5 of the xar file I attached above. The trick is to press the 'reverse paths' button on the shape editor tool infobar. The text flips to the otherside of the curve, but you may need to re-adjust the curve to get it to fit as you want it.

Alternatively, you could just draw another new arc-curve and type onto it as before, and shape it as you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuerza View Post
    ...I don't want anyone to do it for me, but I would appreciate some instructions on how to fix the problems that I am having. It is best that I learn how to fix these myself so that I know what I am doing with future projects, not to mention being able to help someone else someday...
    Oh, and you don't need to tread on eggshells anymore.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Inside text.png 
Views:	166 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	39435   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Inside text 2.png 
Views:	169 
Size:	5.6 KB 
ID:	39439  

heres my take on how you do it - hope it makes sense, reckon I learn as much doing this as anyone
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Handrawn & Xhris,

Once again, thank you!!

I followed your directions (Handrawn, excellent detail on how to do it all step by step) and it turned out great!

You guys rock! You should think about doing your own video tutorials.