Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    OH USA - Home to Cedar Point (Roller Coster King)

I downloaded and installed the new version of Xara (X1) to see if my problems in printing bitmap fills had finally been fixed. Nope! Still there. Attaching file I was working with yesterday as an example of the problem. Whenever I print the attached file, none of the photos I've inserted as bitmap fills will print!

So, my question is, is this my problem, or Xaras? I'll probably upgrade anyway, as I use Xara constantly. But, getting this issue resolved would be greatly appreciated. (So I know who's head to knock against the wall!)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    aka The Computer Lady!
    Web Development & Video Tutorials - Design Works Internet https://www.facebook.com/Design-Works-Internet

I downloaded and installed the new version of Xara (X1) to see if my problems in printing bitmap fills had finally been fixed. Nope! Still there. Attaching file I was working with yesterday as an example of the problem. Whenever I print the attached file, none of the photos I've inserted as bitmap fills will print!

So, my question is, is this my problem, or Xaras? I'll probably upgrade anyway, as I use Xara constantly. But, getting this issue resolved would be greatly appreciated. (So I know who's head to knock against the wall!)
    aka The Computer Lady!
    Web Development & Video Tutorials - Design Works Internet https://www.facebook.com/Design-Works-Internet

I'm afraid it looks like a possible printing problem with Xara X. We'll look into it.

Seems that the problem is your end as i downloaded the file and it prints here ok, also made up a one much the same with bitmap fills and all works here ok

Sorry but did not mention that that is using the new Xara to print from.
    The new one also seems to handle complex groups of objects far better.

I believe the problem stems from the fact that your project is still a collection of objects rather than just one. Your printer just doesn't know which to print.
    I was able to get it to print everything this way:
    From the Menu- Edit > Select all
    - Arrange > Group
    - File > Export
    Save as a Jpeg,(or png if you'd rather) Name, save.
    Now file will print out nicely.
    - Andrew

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I believe the problem stems from the fact that your project is still a collection of objects rather than just one. Your printer just doesn't know which to print. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, but it doesn't diminish the problem. Okay, here's another example using greeting cards, as I like personalizing things whenever I can. This is a type of pop-up, cut-out kind of card that requires very precise placement of objects to work. (Pretty precise cutting too!) Trying to duplicate this kind of design in any other program I have tried has been VERY difficult. See image of finished card attached, and an Xara file similar to it attached to message. Humm... TalkGraphics won't allow me to post the file as it is too large...

http://www.design-comp.com/ebay/CircleCutoutCard.jpg

This is something I have been doing within Xara since obtaining Corel Xara so many years ago. Xara makes putting something this involved VERY easy to do, especially if you start from a template file! (Someday I'll get a tutorial on this put together ... honest!)

In any case, I'm often asked to do presentations on making greeting cards at user group meetings. This is one that I always take along as an 'advanced' topic. Doing something like this in a standard 'greeting card' program would be nearly impossible. Very few support object clipping as effortlessly as Xara does, or allow you to combine bitmaps and vector based objects with as much creativity. (Yes, I have very decided biases on Xara too!)

Considering the immense popularity of scrapbooking in the craft world, I'm surprised someone else hasn't brought this topic up before. Has anyone at Xara thought about that market? Key thing would be to improve the print engine, IMO. I'm not sure if anyone would like the fact that they have to export the entire composition to a bitmap format, and then print to succeed!
    aka The Computer Lady!

Galloping Squirrel Ranch, Bend, Oregon, USA

Irene I just printed your top award guy, and it was fine.
    Go to FILE/PRINT OPTIONS/OUTPUT/ select PRINT AS A BITMAP, I also checked print all visible foreground layers but don't think that was necessary.

Thank Judi A, that works well, but the file size is quite large: 1875k.
    For comparison of the same project exported:
    jpeg = 147k

png = 861k
    - Andrew

Hello Irene, I looked at your file, it prints as you stated, no bitmap.

I took the picture apart, you had a couple of extra rectangles that had no outline or fill.

The problem lies with the brush outline used on the bitmap. It must be causing a conflict and is preventing the bitmap from printing.

Corrective action: I copied the rectangles containing the bitmap, one the original I turned off the outline(brush stroke), I placed the copy with outline directly above the original and set the fill to none. This arrangment printed as expected.