Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Magnify-Shrink

Smile Magnify-Shrink

Please help me! I'm new to PSP and I'd like to know if there is a tool in it with which I could magnify or shrink only some object or area on a picture e.g. an animal, a flower,tree ... Thanks for any help!
    IP

Default Re: Magnify-Shrink

Yes lots of ways But It depends On how your image is created. An image is just a set of pixels all on the same layer. So its imposable to resize say a dog sat on a chair without resizing the chair. But if you make a selection of the dog Then Promote the selection to a layer you finish up with the dog on a separate layer You can use the resize dialog with the All Layers check box unchecked to resize just one layer. You can use the pick/Deform tool to resize, Grab a corner handle and drag it out to increase or drag it in to decrease. This does not alter the fact that the background layer will still have the dog on it, If you increasing the size the the bigger dog will hide it but is your making it smaller then you need to paint over the lower layer with the clone brush or such to make it look the way it would without the dog.

So you have lots of things to practice
    IP

Smile Re: Magnify-Shrink

Quote Originally Posted by Trev View Post
    Yes lots of ways But It depends On how your image is created. An image is just a set of pixels all on the same layer. So its imposable to resize say a dog sat on a chair without resizing the chair. But if you make a selection of the dog Then Promote the selection to a layer you finish up with the dog on a separate layer You can use the resize dialog with the All Layers check box unchecked to resize just one layer. You can use the pick/Deform tool to resize, Grab a corner handle and drag it out to increase or drag it in to decrease. This does not alter the fact that the background layer will still have the dog on it, If you increasing the size the the bigger dog will hide it but is your making it smaller then you need to paint over the lower layer with the clone brush or such to make it look the way it would without the dog.

So you have lots of things to practice
    Thanks a lot Trev! That's very kind of you. What I had in mind though was a more simple way I tried in a similar software. There was a tool in the Effects dialog that it was like a lens. You just put it on the selected area and increase or decrease it accordingly... Is there anything like that in PSP?
    IP

In Paint Shop Pro under Artistic Effects there is a magnify lens, it works rather nicely too.

First one shows the Eagle magnified, the second is the original.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	magnify.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	35615   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nomagnify.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	35616  

IP

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmc View Post
    In Paint Shop Pro under Artistic Effects there is a magnify lens, it works rather nicely too.

First one shows the Eagle magnified, the second is the original.
    That's quite good jamesmc. It would be better without the reflection though. In the other software I have in mind you could not tell if the magnified object was like that before in the original pic. I think PSP would be perfect if they put this tool in a future version ... Thanks for your suggestion anyway.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Andy49 View Post
    That's quite good jamesmc. It would be better without the reflection though. In the other software I have in mind you could not tell if the magnified object was like that before in the original pic. I think PSP would be perfect if they put this tool in a future version ... Thanks for your suggestion anyway.
    Have you even looked at the Magnifying Lens option in Paint Shop Pro? It has a lot of options, one being remove the reflection which is remove the light source.

First screen shot is of the property panel in Paint Shop Pro 9 (the version I have.)

Second image is of the same photo with the enlarged eagle and no lights (no reflection.)

I believe if you examined the tool, it will do what you want.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	magnify4.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	35621   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	magnify3.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	35622  

IP