Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default RGB into CMYK/Greyscale? Help appreciated ...

Quick question for anyone that knows ....

I created a map in using RBC colors, and now I want to convert it to CMYK and also Greyscale for printing. Any idea how I convert my image or ensure that it is converted???

Any help muchly appreciated. Cheers! Phil

Default RGB into CMYK/Greyscale? Help appreciated ...

Hi there. RGB (red-green-blue). Greyscale you can print via your printer's software. If you export as PDF you can choose CMYK there...I think the same for .tif, etc. I'm sure someone who's more expert in this than I will be along to explain the correct route. <g>
    ~HelenG~
    Helen (Xara Designer Pro X9)
    www.pinpubstudio.com

Default Re: RGB into CMYK/Greyscale? Help appreciated ...

Hello Phil

I assume when you say for printing, you are referring to a commercial printing company?

Helen is right. PDF/X with the CMYK option is your best bet.

You can also export a CMYK TIFF but I do not recommend that route. There have been some color issues with the CMYK TIFF filter that I am not sure have been resolved.

If your printing company has Acrobat, they can easily convert a PDF file to Grayscale. This is very straightforward in more recent versions of Acrobat.

Here's something else you can do.

Select your entire drawing then select the Live Effects Tool.

Click New > (at the top of the main tool bar) and from the pop up menu select Enhance. This is the same Enhance menu that you have in Xara Picture Editor. But this function works with vector as well as bitmaps.

In the Color Saturation text entry box, key in -100 and press Enter. This reduces the saturation to 0% which is in essence, grayscale.

Gary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grayscale.jpg 
Views:	331 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	43609  
    Last edited by gwpriester; 08 December 2007 at 03:21 PM.

Hi Gary,

Will this then export as a grayscale tiff? Right now I have to export as a tiff and then open it with a bitmap editor (I'm using Corel Photopaint) to convert to grayscale for our newspaper ads. The paper requires grayscale tiffs.

Thanks,
    Cat =^..^=

Technically it is still RGB on export even though there is 0% saturation. So, for the time being, you will need to pass the file through a bitmap editor capable of creating a Grayscale image.

This is something that has been discussed with Xara and one can hope that in a future version this capability will be added.

Gary